Ultra low sulfer spotted at the pumps in Iowa. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Dieselwrencher, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1193 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #56

Ultra low sulfer spotted at the pumps in Iowa.

If anyone is interested I have spotted my first ultra low diesel fuel at a Casey's convenience store in Altoona, Ia. This probabaly means everyone else already has it but I figuired I spread the word for anyone traveling, or anyone in the area.

2005 Dodge 3500 CC LB 5.9 48RE Smarty 5" Silverline Exhaust AFE Stage 2 305/70/17 Nitto Grapplers Tinted Windows
Putco light bar
1968 Corvette Coupe 5.9 cummins 47RH with Goerend parts assembled by Gilmore Performance 180 pump built by Smokem 12pt cage Ford 9" with spool 35 spline moser axles pro gears Quick Time DOT drag slicks tilt front end soon to get paint and more air.
1995 F-350 Crew Cab soon to be 6 door DRW Hauler project: 5.9 conversion in progress ZF5 speed destroked adaptor plate King pin D60 3.55 gears

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Bouncer

If the pump is not stickered with a 500ppm and warning that it can not be used in 2007 and newer vehicles then it is ULSD.

Most people I find around here think they will see a sticker saying it is ULSD and go on about how they won't run it and all. I ask them if they have saw a sticker on the pump when filling up and they say no. I then tell them congratulations you have been running ULSD. I had one station owner here in town that sells Marathon fuel argue with me that he was not selling ULSD. I asked him where his sticker was stating that it WAS LSD and he just had the deer in the headlights look. I told him to comply with the law that he had to have stickers on his pumps that said it was LSD and could not be used in 2007 and newer model year vehicles. So I asked him if he was selling mis-branded fuel or he really didn't know. He finally said he just sold what they brought him and had no idea what it was and no one had told him to put any stickers on.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWrencher1
If anyone is interested I have spotted my first ultra low diesel fuel at a Casey's convenience store in Altoona, Ia. This probabaly means everyone else already has it but I figuired I spread the word for anyone traveling, or anyone in the area.
I think its up in Appleton Wi to.... i noticed the fuel was clear and did not feel as oily even the foam was clear i have a bad feeling about that stuff
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:45 AM

I'm a little confused. Is the ULSD good for 2007 and older vehicles or is it good for 2007 and newer that are still to come?

I don't think it will be good for any years but which years exactly should be a concern?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006copperPSD
I'm a little confused. Is the ULSD good for 2007 and older vehicles or is it good for 2007 and newer that are still to come?
The ULSD has to be run in model year 2007 and forward vehicles. It can also be run in any diesel from 2006 and older, although they were not designed to run on this fuel. Some people have noticed mileage decreases, some have noticed mileage increases. It is a general opinion by many that the ULSD will cause fuel seals to eventually fail in the 2006 and older vehicles. Mainly in the pre 98' vehicles as they were designed to run on high Sulfur diesel.

It basically is a lose/lose situation for pre 2007 vehicles as in 2011 all fuel will become ULSD with no exceptions. Hope this helps clear it up some.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:06 AM
IS FREE!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to 6Lcummins Send a message via MSN to 6Lcummins Send a message via Yahoo to 6Lcummins
it is suppose to be safe for all vehicles. it is the 500PPM diesel that is not safe for 07 and newer vehicles. the ULSD is suppose to be just as good as the 500PPM taht it should not hurt the current trucks out there.

12.56 @ 102 MPH Ennis Texas 4/10/10
11.55 @ 117 MPH Cedar Falls Iowa 5/22/10
1968 Cummins Corvette
All hard parts provided by Low Budget Diesel Performance and our sponsors Hamilton Cams, Pureflow Technologies, and PowerFlow Exhaust
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:14 AM

I noticed mine seems to run a little rougher... i heard in the open road channel on xm to add a court of cheep 10w-30 to every 35 gallons.... i have been doing that for about 6 months when im not running red it seems to help a little but not as good as red fuel
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:19 AM
Bouncer

Do yourself a big favor and just put some fuel treatment in your tank instead of motor oil. That worked fine years ago when diesel was next to motor oil, but now a days there are much better treatments to use. Truckers do it because most of them don't own their rigs and they don't care what happens.

As for using the ULSD I personally noticed a 1.5 mpg drop in my truck. Didn't notice any performance loss, although the smoke seemed to be down a little and had a more gray tint to it. This loss was on Summer fuel also, I can only imagine my loss on Winter fuel.

I have heard mixed experiences though. Some have had improvement and some have not.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 05:33 PM

Thanks for clearing this up some for me.

I'm now curious as to why 2007. The 2007 Ford still has the 6.0 in it, I wonder if they changed any o-rings or something in them.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 05:45 PM
fordt

The effect is on build date 01-01-07

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode