What are the steps to making biodiesel? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by smokey, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 922 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

What are the steps to making biodiesel?

I do not have a diesel truck yet but I am going to buy one after the first of the year b/c of tax reasons. I have figured out how to build a setup but do not know the steps to the process. I really am also interested in the price of lye and methanol, and how much to use per/gallon. A lot of websites have taught me alot (including this one) but each has different steps to the process. The step I get confused the most is the titration. I really need some help on this process and how you do it. Any input will help and remember I am new here so take it easy on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 02:30 AM
BDB

These are the links I used for research. It's pretty easy you just have to take your time! As far as Meth prices I haven't looked recently but I heard they sky rocked. Maybe 3.50 to 4.00 a gallon. I was bying it in a 55 gal drumb for 2.00 a gal this last summer. KOH was 60.00 for a 50lb bag. Best thing for titration is to try it and then ask questions if you need to. Just remember they are chemicals so be safe! The biodiesel community has a good calculator to use.

http://biodieselcommunity.org/
http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/
http://biodiesel.williamsportfoundry.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Making_Biodiesel1.GIF
Views:	54
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	7339  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:50 AM

I Purchased the BioPro-190 it will do the thinking for you.
I likied this product so well I became a dealer for them. This Processor is by far the easiest way to produce BioDiesel. If you have any more questions feel free to email me.
Wilseya
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:46 AM

smokey, a simple appleseed processor, made from an old water heater,55 gal drum wash tank,a small pump from harbor freight and a plastic carboy jug to administer your methoxide is all you need. put mine together for well under 75 dollars. i suggest you consult collaborative biodiesel tutorial website. they will help you with everything from building your processor to what and where to buy including a "grocery list". as well as step by step pictoral instruction on titration check 'em out !

1996 F 250 extended cab,4x4,7.3l auto trans,power adder cone filter, 3.5 inch straight exhaust, DFuser 18k mod.and veggie powered.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:19 AM
I be Architect'n

Second vote for an appleseed. I have one and have made probably more than 700+ gal's with it and it's still working fine.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 AM

Appleseed is a good design but expenisve to build one that is over 40 gallons.

If all you want is a 40 gallon processor (28 gallon batches), the appleseed is the way to go.

If you are looking for something that produces more volume, check out www.murphysmachines.com for farm sized units you can build yourself.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey
I do not have a diesel truck yet but I am going to buy one after the first of the year b/c of tax reasons. I have figured out how to build a setup but do not know the steps to the process. I really am also interested in the price of lye and methanol, and how much to use per/gallon. A lot of websites have taught me alot (including this one) but each has different steps to the process. The step I get confused the most is the titration. I really need some help on this process and how you do it. Any input will help and remember I am new here so take it easy on me.
Methanol had a price jump late last summer. Expect to pay about $0.75 to $1.00 a gallon to produce fuel. (lot better than $2.50 for diesel)

As for titrating, Here you go,

Step1) Make Titration Solution
Measure out 1 Liter of distilled water.
Measure out 10 grams of Lye
Mix the two together.
Draw 100ml from the solution.
Throw the other 900ml down the drain.
Measure out a new batch of distilled water. 900ml this time.
Add the 100ml solution to the 900ml of distilled water and shake well.
(Always save your titration solution in a dark bottle with the cap on)

Step2)Titration (assuming you've checked for water)
Measure out 10ml of Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) of at least 90% purity.
Add 1ml of your oil to the 10ml of alcohol and swirl mix it.
Add 5 drops of phenolphthaline
Now suck up some of your titration solution you made in step1 and start adding that in measured 1ml or .5ml steps until the alcohol solution starts to turn a slight pink. Swirl the solution the entire time and keep close track of how many ml you have added.

Once it turns slightly pink, stop adding titration solution and keep swirling for 20 seconds. If the pink goes away, add more titration solution.

Once it stays slightly pink, the number of ml of titration solution you added is your titration number.

If you are using NaOH, add your titration number to 5 or 5.5
If you are usning KOH, add your titration number to 8 or 8.5

So if your titration number was 6, you would use 14 or 14.5 grams of KOH per liter of oil.

Of course, you should always use 22% or more methanol.

Hows that? Whew! that was a lot of typing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 01:00 AM

I should also note that if you have a REALLY good scale, you could also do a single step to make your titration solution by just adding 1 gram to 1 liter of distilled water.
The problem is that most people don't have scales good enough to measure out just 1 gram to an accuracy of less than 1% (1.99 to 1.01).

I make my titration in a single step.. but my scale goes to .0001 grams resolution. Not many have scales like that so I recommend the 2 step method.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode