Biodiesel cold weather results- - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Wekiwa, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 1579 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Contain the BTU's...

Biodiesel cold weather results-

We tried a little experiment yesterday to see what the truth is regarding Biodiesel and cold weather. Its currently about 32 in Dallas. All three trucks are 05 6.0’s with aftermarket between frame rail aluminum 50gal tanks. All had block heaters plugged in.

- T1 has B5 and started fine, runs great.
- T2 has B20, started ok, and runs great.
- My toy with B100, still won’t start……………………..no fuel pressure.

Dang it, I wanted to make big donuts in the Wally World parking lot.
:evil:

Wekiwa

Several 04, 05, 06, and a few 07 6.0's
The toy: 05 CC 4x4 SB HD with a few changes.

You only get one chance to provide good customer service the first time. If you do, your customers may tell a few people about you. If you don't, a dissatisfied customer will tell everyone they know and some they dont about you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Still kickin

Would an anti-gel additive work on bio-diesel as well?

John
08 6.7 QC SB 4x4 "hand-shaker" edition, De-Badged, EGR Delete, TTT Mirrors, Auto Exhaust Brake, etc.
All details and instructions --> www.CarboniteCummins.com

Successfully blew up three 6.0s before moving up in the food chain.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:37 PM
SRW Cartell #27

I use B100 and tested some different anti jel had no luck. it raised the jell point but not by much all gelled at about 27 deg. So in the winter i run 50/50 WVO(waist veggie oil) and diesel.

1999.5 F250 4x4 super cab 7.3L With edge attituede.
Converter lockup mod and EBPV exaust brake mod.
Air Hog cold air intake. Muffler delete, 35s on centerlines.
New F650 dash upgrade..

1995 F250 Single cab long bed 2wd.

2001 LB7 2500HD SOLD
AEM Brute Force intake, 5 1/2 stack exaust, Diablo Sport Predator Programmer. PPE boost valve, Autolite gauges. Built Allison (Alto steels, Red eagle clutches, Transgo shift kit, transgo lockup valve, and Personal Mods : ) edelbrock 1792 lift pump.

Singles Club Member #27
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 06:28 PM
I be Architect'n

I usually run B50 during the winter, and I also did some experiments w/ anti-gel and had no significant change.

There is an anti-gel for B100 on the market, but its mail or internet order only. I've never tested it though.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 06:46 PM

wow 32. just wait till it goes mainstream like up here you wont be liking it so much.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 06:51 PM

Somebody makes an antigel that works right away. I just can't remember who right now. I think you pour it in the engine mounted fuel filter. I wonder if this would work if you put some in the filter and in the fuel tank? :shrug:
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Normal Diesel Anti-Gel will NOT have any affect on high concentrations of Bio. You need an Anti-Gel designed for BIO. I was not aware there was one, but obviously as 6_Myles stated somebody has come out with one. The Chemical makeup of Bio and Petro is different, that is why it burns with different byproducts, and has different energy ratings.

2006 F250 CC SB 4x4
4.5 Icon 4-Link, TEI Spacers, and 5 Inch rear Springs.
Farmboy Fabrication Traction Bars.
SCT XCalII tuned by GoGoDiesel, DJ's, and Spartan...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 07:21 PM
I be Architect'n

Found it, I though it was made by PowerService:

http://www.powerservice.com/arcticexp_bd_antigel.asp

AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_Myles
Found it, I though it was made by PowerService:

http://www.powerservice.com/arcticexp_bd_antigel.asp

...I think I may have to invest in some of this stuff when it gets too cold down here?. Ive been running the 'DSE' blend first, in my 04 F350 for about almost 6months before I traded it for my new 06 F350 back in September. I now run the same DSE 'Biodesel' in my 06 for alittle over a month now at approx. 50/60% veggy to #2 Diesel..

Well, the day after Thanksgiving I went to start my truck up in the morning after temps dipped into 50's & truck ran about 3 minutes or so at high idle(1200rpm with upfitter switch) & then engine died down & shut off! Im like WTF?:shrug: I had a strong inclination it was fuel issue. I check the filter on top of engine, no problem all clean, fuel level low. So I have my wife cycle key a couple of times & fuel rises. I then start truck, no problem. I say to myself, I better have a look at rail filter under truck. I shut her down & pull the rail filter & for the first time, I find the entire circumference of filter plugged solid with a tan like 'greasy' substance. I was pretty shocked to say the least as I filter the hell out of my waste oil!! Im like, what happened here? Ive never encountered this issue as Ive 'filtered & blended' well over 250 gal or so of oil & NEVER EVER had this issue!:shrug:

I commence to cleaning filter, which btw cleaned real quick & easy with mineral spirits. I put filter back on & drive down the road a couple of miles & the engine starts to loose power & eventaully die! Now Im getting nervous. I pull to the side of road, remove rail filter again & find it clogged completely, yet again! I wipe & 'sling' filter of what looks & feels to be like a 'wax' or gel/greasy substance :shrug: I put filter back in & start truck, which this time ran with a miss, which obviously was injector(s) not filled with fuel & 'dry firing' as I would describe it, which I know is no good for them! So, I cycled engine on & off a minute or two until engine smoothed out. (I didnt want to damage injectors!) So, I drive truck back to my place & again pull rail filter & this time I saw about a 1/4 of the filter covered with grease. So, I clean it yet again & decided to drive it one more time about 6 miles total & if it was still clogged I would drain tank. Well, I made it back with no issues & I checked rail filter one more time & to my relief, NO MORE GREASE!!
Perfectly clean! :shrug: :Thumbup:

I guess, somehow, because of the low temps, some of the 'blended' fuel mustve gelled/congealed whatever? Now Ive been running an anti gelling additive from DSE, but maybe cause I was running a #2 mix with veggy oil, it wasnt enough? :shrug: It hasnt happened again since last week & Ive already added another 18gallons of 'veggy mix' to my tank & have had ZERO issues...albiet, no low outside temps!:shrug:

Sorry about the long rant, but I felt like sharing the experience

:thanks:

Lenny
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 01:18 AM
I be Architect'n

Now I'm not 100% sure of this, but I do remember reading that the mixing of WVO & #2 would cause a parrifin wax fall out of the WVO. That could have been what the grease was, but again I wouldn't bet the farm on my memory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode