I understand bio but... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cookiemonsterblue, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 904 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
cookiemonsterblue

I understand bio but...

All right guys need second opinion other then my own. went to fuel up my wifes nissan mini van this afternoon. i went in and prepaid. when i came out i noticed that the stand alone pump next to where i was fueling was not diesel or kerosine but e85. so i went back in and told them wanted e85. would rather support a farmer over a foriegn country. when i was done filling up i went to hang up the pump and noticed the sign (for flexible fuel vehicles). form what i have read and that i was under the impression that e85 was a direct replacement for gasoline. i drove home almost 20 miles no prob. Am i correct or wrong? if i am wrong i only got 1/2 a tank and can dump a bunch of petro on top. Am i right if so was that sticker put there by petro industry so i wouldn't buy it? i would appreciate your opinions:thanks:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:10 PM

E85

E 85 is only to be used in certain cars and trucks. Google e85 and you can find a list that are flex fuel vehicles.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
cookiemonsterblue
Threadstarter

yippeeee!!!laugh i am going to top off with gas.:sofa does anyone have any idea how much it is to convert to flex fuel?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:19 AM

It would be cheaper to convert your gender.

2006 F250 SD XLT CC SB FX4, Fire Engine Red, 6.0L PS, Auto, Tow Command - Stock as stock can be.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
cookiemonsterblue
Threadstarter

ouch!!! but i am not really imto the bravo channel.:umno:
if its that much it looks like i'll be supporting a foriegn country for a while
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:35 PM

Flex fuel vehicles are equipped with a different engine management program. E85 as a fuel does not carry near the energy that regular unleaded gasoline carries. Putting that fuel in your car that isn't flex fuel compatable will cause it to run rough or not run at all. Since you didn't fill the entire tank with E85, you should be fine. Expect lower gas mileage this tank compared to normal.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:59 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

Look for a station that sells e10. We have it in my area and I ran it in my 98 K2500 gasser for three years before I sold it. Had consistant economy and didnt need to clean the throttle body plates as often. E10 is all year compatible, if you can find it. Most co-ops have it, and like I said. You can put it in any year gasser. Atleast that is what the petroleums manager told me at the time I started using it.

And remember. 10% of E10 is from US corn!

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:15 AM

Question

how is you wife's van doing after running the E85?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 03:33 AM

Heres the skinny on flex fuel vehicles. They have special sensors that can detect the presence of an e85 fuel. Once detected the computer changes the fuel map and timing curve to burn the fuel more eficiently with less emission. Thats about it. You can run it in a non flexi fuel car but id be very careful as not to race or put the engine under serious load as this will cause pre detonation. By the way there is a 3-5% mpg loss with e85 so the money you saved just got burnt quicker. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode