5.9 modifications to run bio? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Canyon JYD, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 809 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Formerly NATTYGASMECH

5.9 modifications to run bio?

I have not searched this forum much for the mods necessary. One of t6he things I understand is that it is an excellent solvent. This being my first deisel I have not had any experience under the hood of this one. Are there any rubbver lines that need changing to synthetic ones? Also is anything else needed? Will the stock system support it w/o modifications? Dodge 5.9 2001 3500 4x4 flatbed 5speed sharp truck. a real hauler if need be! Thinking of a gear vendors splitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 AM
T.D.G. Mafia Member #88

to run ligitimate bio diesel YES it's ready and as for the lines that is an issue with alot of trucks manufactured in the mid 90's from what I understand. Now if you are talkin SVO or WVO then NO YOUR FUEL SYSTEM WILL DIE! Your lift pump will not tolerate the thick oil, talk to some pros:RTFM: and dont do anything cause someone on the internet is doing it: . Make sure you see it done and RUnnING for a while.:Thumbup:

06 Mega Cab 3500 CTD 4X4 Auto SRW
http://www.hoosiertruckclub.com/phpBB3/index.php
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:57 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

Anyhting 95 up should be able to tolerate BioD. If you are unsure, then look at them at every oil change. If they look like they are getting wet on the outside or seeping, then its time to change them with some Vitron hose.

As for modifications needed for running Bio, no you dont need any, just carry a spare fuel filter and tools to change the filter for the first 6K after using bio. Also, dont be like some of the guys that start by using 100% bio and then wonder why their fuel filter clogged rather fast. DUH! Bio has a solvent like attribute to it, start with B20 for the first 2K then go to B50 (if available) until the fuel system stops clogging filters. If you have more than 100K, YOU WILL CLOG FILTERS! How long, I dont know, just carry a few spares.

After a few early filter changes, you should be good to go. And you will return to normal filter change intervals.

Now, some are going to chime in and say Bio is no good and they have had nothing but problems with clogged filters. Yes they did, but they didnt get past the cleaning of the system to reap the real benefits. #1 is not feeding those towel heads. #2 is feeding our American Farmer! #3 is a well lubricated, clean running engine that produces less emissions.

I have over 450K on my flatbed International, and over 200K are with BioD. Yes, I have had a fuel pump fail in that time, but it was the original pump from 95, and it died at 432K. My personal truck has over 50K on BioD, but I dont drive that as much since work sits in my driveway.

Hope this helps, and as CP said. Stay away from WVO, its just a plain bad idea.
Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:48 AM

I hear people saying to stay away from WVO, but to use BioDiesel. I was thinking about refining WVO into BioDiesel. I hear about co-ops refining their own WVO all the time. I undestand that it is a meticulous process, but if I can make my own B100 for less then $.75/gal, it would be worth it. Is this what you guys are talking about, or are you talking about people running unrefined WVO in their trucks?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 03:57 AM
TDG Mafia Member #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin35's
I hear people saying to stay away from WVO, but to use BioDiesel. I was thinking about refining WVO into BioDiesel. I hear about co-ops refining their own WVO all the time. I undestand that it is a meticulous process, but if I can make my own B100 for less then $.75/gal, it would be worth it. Is this what you guys are talking about, or are you talking about people running unrefined WVO in their trucks?

If you want to try it, start really small. The last thing you want is 5-10 gallons of usless sludge because you messed up and miscalculated. Do a lot of research to find out if it is for you. I use to make BD, but I dont have time anymore since I work so far away from home. Take a look at these sites and read up. And for the lok of God, stay away from diesel secret!!!!!
http://www.biodiesel.org/
http://www.biodieselnow.com/forums/default.aspx
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/gettingstarted/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
Threadstarter

BioD is not available in my area. Horse haulin sent a link in another thread and I did find something close enough to visit once in a while but can no longer find it. Maybe they went out of the bio business? I was thinking about making it and was also considering a wvo system. From what I have learned the wvo is nice but the water is the problem. Seems that you could just draw off the top instead of the bottom. Maybe have a large holding tank tapped mid way for the wvo then heat it. Anyway yse I will eventually make my own. Thanks for the links and the warning about diesel secret. I have wondered about that. What exactly is the negative about it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 05:36 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

DSE is nothing more than snake oil! I bought a bottle and it smells like dyed alcohol! Stay away from it as said before.

www.biodiesel.org also, http://biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel...tate.asp?st=AZ

Refining WVO to Bio is much better than running straight WVO. In AZ you should be able to run 100% all year round, until that little time that it snows in some parts. I remember going to the GC and it snowed while I was there, and I was in shorts! That was weird. Back on subject, Hope this helps you out,

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 AM
T.D.G. Mafia Member #88

Yeah trust Tony he and I both know that running str8 WVO is a BAD idea but a processor is a GOOD Idea.:Thumbup:

06 Mega Cab 3500 CTD 4X4 Auto SRW
http://www.hoosiertruckclub.com/phpBB3/index.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode