winter and biodiesel - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cookiemonsterblue, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 741 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
cookiemonsterblue

winter and biodiesel

when it is 90 degrees out it is hard to ponder however it is gonna get real cold real fast.
I just read an article in last months playboy about greasecars and it brought about a question that I am wondering if anyone can answer.
In these kits that you buy they basically run a reserve tank with a switch between tanks. they start and heat the engine up with petro then switch to veg then clean the system with petro during cooldown.
From what i have gotten biodiesel thickens right up in the cold. Could you heat the motor conventionally and switch over to bio? has anyone ever experimented with a reserve tank of bio with a block heater on it? Winter hear gets cold and it is coming soon(3mths)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I be Architect'n

Most places, and people, run a blend during the winter. I run B50 (50% petro/50% bio) during the coldest part of the winter.

During the winter I have heard of people running BioD in the Veg. Oil systems because of the heaters.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
cookiemonsterblue
Threadstarter

I know about mixing the petro and bio I was just wondering about heating the bio to keep it from thickening(basically taking the reliance on petro out of the mix)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I be Architect'n

Sure, you can definitely do that. I have done it a couple of times during winter when my Veg. Oil supply got low and I had to buy B100. My SVO system doesn't have a block heater, but it has a coolant filled heat exchanger. in my 2nd tank.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 PM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonsterblue
I just read an article in last months playboy
There are articles? :shrug:

How would you heat the bioD during the day?

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
cookiemonsterblue
Threadstarter

yeah believe it or not there are articles in playboy I pretty much had to make it to my thirties before I realized all that filler paper around the fun stuff had writing on it(go figure):evil
cooler lines in the bottom of the tank??? hows it done?
As far as what to do during the day to keep my block heater idea thought about a deepcycle battery in the bed for when i am not home to plug it in.
Am i the only one who has pondered this?:shrug:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 02:10 AM

Random thoughts

Four inch foam insulation around the tank.
Plastic tubing for connections with insulation.
Insulation for the coolant lines to conserve heat for the heat exchanger.
A submersion heater and a gen set for when it stays cold. or
A fuel fired coolant heater with a pump to warm all - engine,tank....
Adding propane injection at a catalyst level to improve the low temp combustion in cold block with min. temp fuel

If you use a gen set to heat the fuel, add a battery charger to warm the battery while in the wait to start mode.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 05:19 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

I just want to throw this in, waste veggie oil is not Bio! Biodiesel is a processed and thoroughly cleaned WVO, or SVO. Just trying to keep the confusion down about the differance of Bio and WVO.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
cookiemonsterblue
Threadstarter

don't know if I confused anybody if so sorry. I am trying to figure out a way to avoid having to mix bio and petro. waste oil uses a seperate tank setup and that was the example i was using to possibly rig the second tank with a heating system to avoid gelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode