Biodiesel classes- Austin, Mississippi, and Tennessee coming up - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by girl Mark, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1064 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Biodiesel classes- Austin, Mississippi, and Tennessee coming up

I have three homebrew biodiesel classes happening in various places before winter (I'm not sure what I"m teaching where this winter yet):

Biodiesel Homebrewing Classes with biodiesel equipment build:

-Austin, TX Oct 27-28

-Hattiesburg, MS (actually Seminary MS) Nov 3-4 with barbeque/advanced equipment build on Nov 2nd

-Fayetteville, TN Nov 10-11

Most of you guys know what I do and if you're interested in learning to homebrew or just stopping by to say hello, there's plenty of space in the classes. I've got a 'no one turned away for lack of funds' policy, too. We usually wind up building reactors from the b100supply Appleseed processor kits in the classes, too, and in Mississippi, there's a special pre-class build session/barbeque/fish fry the evening before.

Topics covered:
titration
oil collection
emissions
SVO/biodiesel/solvent thinning options- differences and cautions
real-life quality problems and what to do to prevent them
easy biodiesel chemistry
practice making test batches, titrating oil, testing oil for water, etc
5% water prewash
two-stage base-base process
dewatering oil
washing biodiesel, equipment tricks related to washing
drying biodiesel
how to tell how much to wash or dry
dealing with really bad oil
testing, testing, testing
quality control factors and how they inter-relate
dealing with wash water safely
options for glycerine disposal
burning glycerine safely
fire safety
upsizing batches from the small homebrew systems
waterless "washing"
'open lab' for more practice

Equipment: static mixers, eductors, venturis, hydronic heating, solar heating, plumbing 101, bigger pumps, collections equipment, etc

The Mississippi and Tennessee classes will also have my super-fancy homebrew processor on a trailer, which has a methanol recovery unit and most of the above items to show.

More info:
www.girlmark.com/tour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 AM

have u tryed running in a 6.4l ford yet had no luck here stoped running after 2000 mile sent it to dealer had to flush out the bio and then it ran agine
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I haven't yet heard of anyone using it in one of those, but I"m sure others have tried. You might get more responses if you post the question as a separate topic as I"m sure you're not the only one who's wondering.

There seemed to be a problem with the 6.0's that MIGHT have been a filter dissolving into the system (which got really expensive for some people), and I heard a rumor that folks figured out a better aftermarket filter that fixed the problem. However, I can't find posts about it- while I seem to recall that the two engines are build by different manufacturers I wonder if that's related.

Mark
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:54 PM

I personally know of someone that has an 08 6.4 that has been running B50+ for over 5000 miles without issue.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM

Dang it! The one time you come to the SE/TN/AL area and I and the other fourwheelers in my 4x4 club interested in Bio are going to Harlan, KY that weekend.

Fayetteville is like 20 miles from where I live. Crap!

[Thread hijack on]

Girlmark, homework assignment for you when you're conducting the MS class: Ask people there about Salmon and Sterling, see how many people know what you're talking about.

This is a closed book assignment: No googling!

[Thread hijack off]
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

um, am I supposed to be scared to do this? I don't like going into things like this without knowing what I"m asking....

...scair'd
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

OK, here's an open book assignment for you: get started making test batches, then come to the advanced class that we'll no doubt have there in the future. I'm thinking the future will be late spring or something along those lines. You do'nt actually have to be making full batches to find the advanced class useful, just some 'lab' experience in a Dr Pepper bottle is enough.

The Book of Biodiesel:
www.biodieselcommunity.org

will get you started...

Enjoy your trip, though.

Mark
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 AM

Mark, this is the site we used to learn our processes, we've done a bunch of batches and now have a full setup, i just wanted the opinion of an expert, we thought it was pretty good, but we're in high school so...: :sofa
www.journeytoforever.org

we're usin the two-step but we'll probably work the foolproof a little later, and the best part is as a school we're getting the meth and lye at a discount!!!:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

oh, ack. Journeytoforever is FILLEd with bad info. I'm really sorry to break that to you.

Check out biodieselcommunity.org and then go to http://biodiesel.infopop.cc and see what people have to say about Journeytoforever. They're not just being internet trolls, there's just a STUNNING amount of misinformation about biodiesel at JtF. the so-called "Foolproof" method is one of the worst things about the site.

ALso, if you're at a high school doing biodiesel projects, we'd LOVE to have you at the biodiesel_in_schools Yahoogroup list, both students and teachers
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/biodiesel_in_schools

I'm sure that students and teachers somewhat 'reinvent the wheel' every year when they develop curriculum for biodiesel in the classroom, so we started this list so that it's easier for them all to connect with other schools that have done that before.

Mark
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 02:39 AM

wow, okay, i guess i got some research to do, and as for any school groups, we aren't actually in a class, we just have a club that goes on some pretty long camping trips, canoeing etc. and the fuel for our huge @#$ bus is one of our main issues, so we kind of went underground with two teachers and three students to make the bio-diesel, if our school administration found out we'd be canned so fast, due to the chemicals and whatnot, we figure with the method we were, i guess, using we could get like 7xcents per gallon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode