Are all diesel fuels created the same? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by hopeful 6.0, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 3417 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Are all diesel fuels created the same?

I was filling up the other day at Wal-Mart and got into a discussion with the guy on the other side of the pump about rising fuel prices and what kind of mileage we got.
He said his mileage varies depending on where he buys his fuel because of the different types of fuel.
Is there any truth to this and is there enough difference in the different fuels to make that much difference in fuel mileage?
I'm all ears cuz I always stick to the cheapest stuff I can find at Wal-Mart(Murphy's)
He mentioned he gets better mileage from the stuff he buys at Love's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Yup.

Just like no two vehicles are exactly the same, no two fuels are either. The quality of fuel in the USA varies widely from good to absolute junk. Unfortunately, more of it tends to be towards the junky side than the good side. Even "Premium" diesel only needs to exceede the absolute minimum specifications in two of over 9 critical areas like: Cetane, Energy content (BTU/Gal), Clouding Pour Point, Moisture content, Viscosity and lubricity to name a few. Remember, only TWO of those needs to be in the "good" or "superior" range to be considered a "Premium" fuel.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

Walmart gets its fuel from the wholesale lot of fuel. It can have a small amount of gas in it from the last "load" of gasoline sent through the pipeline. The first 5% and last 5% of each load sent through is mixed with other fuels sent through the pipeline. Loves and all big name retailers buy the inbetween, which is the most pure. Walmart buys the first and last 5% which total 10% of a total load at a discounted rate. Therefor they are able to sell it at a lower price without selling volume.

Truck stops are generally cheaper because they can sell a higher volume of fuel therefor they can buy it cheaper and pass the savings on to the consumer, but Walmart and other stores of the nature buy discounted fuel that can be tainted. Thats how it was explained to me.

I have noticed a huge differance in economy in my International the two times I filled with Walmart diesel. I filled to the brim and didnt get two thirds of the distance I get with Love's or Bio. Normally I fill at the local Co-op, or at the truck stop, and I notice better economy from those two.

Just my .02,
Tony

If I am wrong someone please inform me.

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

That's some "good to know" info. Thanks and maybe I'll experiment with other places for fuel. there's a big truck stop near by but the fuel tends to be 5-8 cents per gallon more than Wal-Mart. What about Shell, RaceTrac, or other stores?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 AM
Dually Club #3

What have you heard about Shell Exxon Chevron etc...

Jason

06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake,Mishimoto Radiator,Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY Innovative.
72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

Varies from region to region, but you can never go wrong with the big names, and those that sell very large quantities like T/A, Loves and other truck stops. I use Speedway around here when out of town, they are pretty large in my region. Keep to the big names and you will find better quality. And longer lasting fuel filters imho.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 AM

around here all the diesel fuel for all brands come out of one refinary. Only difference is that every brand has its own additive package. Depending on that some fuels will last longer or burn cleaner than others, yet there is no price difference at all between the brands. Been testing this quite some time and results are impressive using the right brand fuel in my engine. Did this checks now over 3 different diesel cars / trucks over the past 6 years and results are always the same.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:03 AM
Dually Club #3

Old thread same old question: Does anybody use Chevron or Valero diesel? I ahve noticed that when I fill up at Chevron I get about 18 or so. When I fill up at Valero I get about 15 or so. Is it just the store I go to or is this nation wide. I think I will be going to Chevron from now on. It seems to last alittle longer. Any thoughts?

Jason

06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake,Mishimoto Radiator,Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY Innovative.
72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 03:10 PM

Arround here everything comes through the same pipeline. "Dixie Pipeline"
All the fuel is the same stuff until additives are added at the terminal. No additives are used with low sulfer diesel. Additives are required with ultra low sulfer diesel but I'm told "don't count on it". The Branded fuel has their additive included but unbranded fuel will have the very mininum if any.
If I was driving a truck that required ULSD I would stick with the branded fuel.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 07:09 PM

I check my mileage for every tank and top it off every time. This way I know what fuel gets me the best mileage. My best is from BP. and Citgo. I have filled up with Mobil twice and noticed unussually bad fuel mileage. When to Marathon a few times and noticed the same. Fleet Farm diesel is supposed to be good and have not noticed a drop in mileage, Fleet Farm is a midwest thing. Shell was ok but seems a few cents higher than B.P. I also went to Quick trip last summer and did not do very well and it's supposed to be good fuel. I talked to a Marathon owner and she said it's all the same except color. I'm not so sure it's all the same though. I stay with high volume stations. My Citgo station owner told me a while back sometimes we fill up with diesel twice a day, so I know it's fresh too. My B.P station owner custom mixes sometimes according to the manager but she was not sure what was "custom" so it's not all the same. If you pay .06 more a gallon, that is only 2% more for fuel cost. If I pay 2% more but get 1mpg better thats 5% less fuel being used so the more expensive fuel is probably better and actually cheaper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode