Bio-diesel - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Chevypowa670, this thread has received 30 replies and been viewed 2447 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Bio-diesel

all you guys that fill up with bio-diesel how do you like it? Does it burn faster then diesel or is it slower burning? I guess im just curious on to how it is working for you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 PM

i run homebrew chevypowa, i believe i get better fuel mileage with #2, but for the price it's no contest. don't really no about B20 but it's probably very close to #2.

1996 F 250 extended cab,4x4,7.3l auto trans,power adder cone filter, 3.5 inch straight exhaust, DFuser 18k mod.and veggie powered.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
I be Architect'n

I run homebrew B100 and commercial B20/50/99, when I can't find the time.

BioDiesel = Good for engine, good for economy and good for farmers.

Pickup a diesel and start burning it.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 PM

I'm getting B50 mixing it down to B20-B15 or so in the aux fuel tank. People tell me that it smells a whole bunch better and the engine sound smoother with it vs. straight #2. Can't tell on mileage since I can't measure it; power is about the same.

We're about to get a major plant started here in North Alabama, and it will become a lot easier and more convenient to get after the first of the year.

Al
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 12:42 AM

Question

I watched a program on bio-fuel on the TV the other night, whilst you people are to be commended for using it there is a downside to it too. The rain forests are being torn down and burned, then palm trees are being planted in place of them.. What they said on the TV program the animal life alongside their habitat that they need to survive is being destroyed in the name of the said bio-fuel. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, merely pointing out it does seem at times we cant do right for doing wrong.

I own a Ford Maverick 3ltr V6 4x4 Auto as sold in the UK, Ford stopped selling them as they now own Landrover UK (They were competing against themselves) I would love to add accessories to it though finding them is the issue. Its also known as the Escape in the US. They are also sold by Mazda as the Tribute in the UK. I do know one thing for sure.. My actual paint colour is produced by Mazda
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick.
I watched a program on bio-fuel on the TV the other night, whilst you people are to be commended for using it there is a downside to it too. The rain forests are being torn down and burned, then palm trees are being planted in place of them.. What they said on the TV program the animal life alongside their habitat that they need to survive is being destroyed in the name of the said bio-fuel. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, merely pointing out it does seem at times we cant do right for doing wrong.
don't believe all you watch, most of our bio-fuel is made from regular crops like soy. On the home brew level it is coming from waste vegetable oils.

Brazil was using sugarcane to make their ethanol. I really doubt they are using the forests to make bio-diesel. It would be like pounding rocks together to get sand for concrete. There is much easier ways to do it.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:24 AM

Thumbs up

Hi bulldogdad,

As I say I'm not lecturing you in any way, nor am I saying what you say is not true.

All that I am trying to point out is that poor regions of Indonesia are jumping on the band wagon to make a living by producing biofuel, and who can blame them.

Quote:
Palm oil: the biofuel of the future driving an ecological disaster now..

The numbers are damning. Within 15 years 98% of the rainforests of Indonesia and Malaysia will be gone, little more than a footnote in history. With them will disappear some of the world's most important wildlife species, victims of the rapacious destruction of their habitat in what conservationists see as a lost cause.
Perhaps the link below can explain it far better than I ever will..

Code:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/apr/04/energy.indonesia

I own a Ford Maverick 3ltr V6 4x4 Auto as sold in the UK, Ford stopped selling them as they now own Landrover UK (They were competing against themselves) I would love to add accessories to it though finding them is the issue. Its also known as the Escape in the US. They are also sold by Mazda as the Tribute in the UK. I do know one thing for sure.. My actual paint colour is produced by Mazda
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 05:24 AM

Well thats the problem with other countries, they don't think about he long term. but they are being smart in becoming independent and not buying fuel from the terrorists of the middle east.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:04 AM
hotrodstan

Just started running B20 and will be makiing a X-country trip 5000 miles in the next couple of weeks. I will report back on the mileage. It is too early to tell, but I appear to be getting about 1 mpg less in town. I plan on fueling again in Dallas with B20 or B50. I have an 80 gallon tank so I can custom mix as needed.

I plan on setting up my own production in the near future. I have been waiting for the Big R (retirement) 5 more days to go whopee!!!

2005 GMC 4x4 CC Sandbiege
Billet Grille, Step Rails, Tonneau Cover, Bilstein, AFE CAI, Line-X, 80 gal Homebrew Fuel Tank, Amsoil Dual Bypass filter and more to come.

2004 Pathfinder SE 4x4 (Wife's chariot)

30 Ford Tudor 350/350/350 = FUN
27 RPU in Progress
27 Coupe awaiting time
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:46 PM

there seems to a bigger issue with other countries tapping into the hot market.... and us Americans will buy it. From what I hear, most bio comes from the us. But Im sure other countries are doing some crazy things to get a piece of the action.... I wonder if Indonesia and Malaysia or who ever is tearing out one forest and putting in bio crops, how much of that will come to the US???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode