ULSD & My 6.0 Powerstroke - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Diesel Duo, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1679 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ULSD & My 6.0 Powerstroke

A couple of months ago my '04 Ford began sputtering and blowing lots of black smoke, occasionally, at light throttle. It appears to happen most frequently at stop lights or off ramps. I was told that it was my EGR Valve sticking. I was instructed to take some side roads and get it real hot to burn off some soot. After doing this it helped for a couple of hours or soo and since returned. Another gear-head i know told me to be sure i am using additives. I usually only use them in the winter, but he said that is not enough with the new ULSD. For the past three months i have been running all kinds of additives in an attempt to find one that stops the problem. To date nothing. I buy my fuel at the same gas station since i bought the truck in '04 it is a BP/Amoco so it would be hard to believe that the fuel is garbage. What are your thoughts? Thanks:thanks:

No brand loyalty, just a love of diesels!!

1994 Ram 2500 CTD K&N intake, MBRP exhaust, full Goerend tranny, #100 Fuel plate, 60# valve springs, 4k GSK, Thuren steering stabilizer, Thuren Track Bar, +2.5" progressive rate coil springs, Bilstein 5100's, BD Diesel SBS, chassis mods, 315/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, Isspro tri-pod EGT, fuel, and boost, Eclipse CD, 8' Boss snowplow
Fuel Heater Deleted! KORE dual Heim Joint end links waiting to go in

2004 F-250 Powerstroke aFe stage II, Hypertech PTM, Recon mirror markers, Firestone airbags w/ compressor, Rancho 9000's on all four w/ myride, 20" Pacer on 33/12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers, Eclipse CD, 8' Boss snowplow

Blizzard IceChaser 1.5 cubic yd. poly salt and sand spreader!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 PM

If your EGR is sticking it needs to be cleaned or replaced, additives won't do enough. A couple of tanks of B20 might clear it up, but pulling the valve and cleaning/replacing it is the only proven method.

It has less to do with ULSD than driving style, if you're not towing or working the engine hard enough deposits will accumulate.

You could get a program that shuts the EGR off, but unless you know it is completely closed it still may not run right. If you block the EGR port in the up-pipe you will eliminate any further EGR related issues (including EGR related puking) but it may set a CEL which will require a non-EGR program.

07-6.0 4X4 CC Lariat Tow Boss w/36,000 trouble free miles.
CCV-Zoodad-Harpooned, cat delete, otherwise
BONE STOCK
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Driving style

Due to the fact that i own a lawn and landscape company i do a lot of stop and go city driving. I do tow a lot but minimal wieght (less than 3ton). So I do believe the EGR could be stuck or sticking. There is only approx. 45k on the truck so it is still under warranty. Is this a warrantable issue or something I need to do myself? If it is a DIY job do you know any links to instructions? Thanks for all the help!

1994 Ram 2500 CTD K&N intake, MBRP exhaust, full Goerend tranny, #100 Fuel plate, 60# valve springs, 4k GSK, Thuren steering stabilizer, Thuren Track Bar, +2.5" progressive rate coil springs, Bilstein 5100's, BD Diesel SBS, chassis mods, 315/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, Isspro tri-pod EGT, fuel, and boost, Eclipse CD, 8' Boss snowplow

2004 F-250 Powerstroke aFe stage II, Hypertech PTM, Recon mirror markers, Firestone airbags w/ compressor, Rancho 9000's on all four w/ myride, 20" Pacer on 33/12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers, Eclipse CD, 8' Boss snowplow

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 08:00 PM

It should be covered under warranty, the dealer should replace (not clean) the EGR valve if it is the cause. Cleaning is the DIY method.

After the dealer replaces the valve, (so you know it's closed) I'd recommend getting a program that shuts it completely off to avoid future issues.

07-6.0 4X4 CC Lariat Tow Boss w/36,000 trouble free miles.
CCV-Zoodad-Harpooned, cat delete, otherwise
BONE STOCK
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks

I appreciate all the help. I will go to the dealership and have them replace the valve. Is there a program i can buy that will only shut off the valve. I am currently running the Hyper-Tech three stage on-the-fly programmer and love it. I am sure there are chips out there that will turn up the power a little more but i am content. Plus this chip is easy to take out for service work! Again, Thanks!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Nothing?

No ideas huh?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 04:12 PM

I don't know if the tuners can make a file to just turn off the egr. Most everyone on here has an SCT. I have mine from DJ and love it. They could write you a mild tow tune that would help out your tranny and shut of your egr. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. Im sure they would be more than happy to answer any questions you have.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 04:56 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode