frying oil setups? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jizem, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 1420 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

frying oil setups?

hi, like to know wat truck works the best on SVO orWVO, things i should buy approx cost, tips, anything is apreciated looking at a 97 powerstroke crew cab long bed with dual fuel tanks. also could i put WVO in one tank and tanny oil /diesel mix in the other? or watse mortor oil in with the disel or would i need 3 seperate tanks for all that.
thank you for your time and help,
josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 PM

most recommend using a a separate tank in the bed. Not the second fuel tank on the truck.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

any one else?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 AM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by jizem
hi, like to know wat truck works the best on SVO orWVO, things i should buy approx cost, tips, anything is apreciated looking at a 97 powerstroke crew cab long bed with dual fuel tanks. also could i put WVO in one tank and tanny oil /diesel mix in the other? or watse mortor oil in with the disel or would i need 3 seperate tanks for all that.
thank you for your time and help,
josh
I would opt for a sperate tank in the bed.

But be aware that some thing are not meant to be burnt in a diesel engine.

Tranny Fluid (ATF) shouldn't be used as fuel or a fuel lubricant. Todays ATF has several chemicals and friction modifiers that will INCREASE wear on fuel system components. Not to mention ASH levels might create deposits on pistons or injectors...

Waste Engine Oil (WEO) I would suggest against. It doesn't produce any lubricity for the fuel system at all and most engine oils today contain ASH and will most likely leave deposits on injectors and pistons. Not to mention all that soot in the oil... A member otld me a long time ago... "Its like crappin' on a paper plate and adding whip cream and eating it again..."

Waste Veggie Oil (WVO) Has been done. But there is a lot of considerations about mods to the fuel system and proper usage of the WVO so you don't damage your engine or fuewl system. I would check out a WVO site for more information before just using it...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

not a good idea to even mix ATFor WEO with diesel fuel at all?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:44 AM

and you base this off what?? Ive seen some tests about WEO mix with diesel and with a >25% mix seems to be ok.... ATF well the data has'nt proved anything. Please share your infor with us...

thx
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
well as for the WEO wel people drain it out of the crankcase usually use dirty bucket and such... So it going to take quite a bit of filtering. But there could be metal and such in the oil too. I know that Cummins will allow up to 5% WEO and also that they created "Centinel" to burn WEO. But when they did a HFRR testing on WEO in diesel fuel lubricity was poor...

(#13 on the list.)

As you can see it did poorly and the other factor is that engine oil does contain ASH. There is a limit to how much ash a fuel can have too...

Quote:
Measures inorganic residues - The small amount of non-combustable metallic material found in almost all petroleum products is commonly called ash. Ash content should not exceed 0.02 mass percent
This is why ASHLESS 2 cycle is better over WEO because its intended to burn for one and two it is ashles oil so the chance of deposits forming is nil...

As for ATF the older ATF from the 70's was nothing more than red hydraulic fluid. Now todays fluids ATF+3 and ATF+4 both have chemicals added to increase lubricity at the same time added friction modifiers to make the clutches stick better. Once again these chemical might contain ash and/or might not combust very well. now if you using waste ATF remember your going to have metals for sure aluminum and metal! So filter the fluid is critical!

In either case the Dodge Cummins fuel pumps (stock) are not protect by a filter and these metals will distroy a fuel pump in a hurry. Since the electric motor has magnets in it... It will attract every little bit of metal it can and jam it up tight... It not worth in it in my book to be replacing fuel pumps (~$200) and VP44 (~$1600)...

So once again 2 cycle oil is a clean oil that has no ash and ranked way better in the HFRR testing over WEO...:Thumbup:

WVO on the other hand... Has been done but there is lot to read about...
http://www.veggiefuelsystems.com/

http://www.fattywagons.com/fwQA.htm
Will 100% WVO work in all Diesel engines?
Sorry but the answer is no. If you have a newer Diesel engine (late 1990's and newer) and want to use WVO for fuel, we recommend using a mix (cocktail) of WVO and pump diesel with our system.

116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks alot for the vital information. there was a guy that worked at the ford dealers ship down the road he mixed atf then mixed it till about 10% diesle and 90% atf so i waswonding if anying one else had this luck but i c it must be luck that he hasent messed sumthing up. a 99 or 2000 PSD might of been a 98 cant remember. thank you so much
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
10% is double of the limit Cummins will allow for lube oil to be used.

Then on the other hand you got to remember its a delicate balance between cetane levels and BTU's

The more oil you dump in the lower the cetane level will become and the highier the BTU's will become. But if you go to far (below 40 cetane) then the fuel doesn't completely fire. There is a noted loss of HP/TQ (Dyno tested) and loss of MPGs.

The Whole idea is to put thye most BTU's back into the fuel with out distroying the cetane level too much... So I know I still have good powr at 105:1 ratio but excellent lubricity for the fuel system and I added a bit more BTU's bucause I noticed a rise in MPG's (2-3 MPG).

You might want to take a look at the fuel records...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...2002%20CTD.htm

As for the slump in MPG for this winter. It the first winter with ULSD here in Idaho.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 PM

any one runnign bio diesel in the 6.0l ford?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode