biodiesel - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_deerhunter, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1495 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

biodiesel

I was in Illinois this past weekend. I needed fuel so I went to fill up, and four gas stations later all I could find was 10% biodiesel. The owners manual says no more than 5% biodiesel. What happens when that is all they are making? Are we all screwed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
fordt

I read that some guys are complaining about poor mileage with B20. I was thinking yesterday about filling up with B20, but not if mileage goes down. Also, you may have gelling problems in the cold.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter
I was in Illinois this past weekend. I needed fuel so I went to fill up, and four gas stations later all I could find was 10% biodiesel. The owners manual says no more than 5% biodiesel. What happens when that is all they are making? Are we all screwed?
I ran B20 in my '02 lb7. First an only time. Power was down, obviously. The mileage dropped as well.

Diane
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:55 AM

There's no way in hell B10 is going to hurt your motor.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 03:13 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

The only reason you have a drop in mileage is because the fuel cleans you system and puts all the waxes and parafins in the filter therefore plugging it up and dropping your economy. Changing the filter once you have run two or more tanks will bring your economy back up. I have been running B20 in my truck since I bought it, and thus far only one filter and better balance rates on my injectors. My economy has come up from 15mpg to 16.2mpg since I changed the filter and still running B20, even in -10* weather without gelling.

B10 wont hurt your truck what so ever, so dont be afraid to run all the way to B50 if you have run Bio in the past.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter
THE reason GM and Ford do not support more than B5 is because of quality reasons, not because the engine will not run on it. B5 has an "industry accepted specification", mixes greater than that DO NOT.

This means that you can be very assured that B5 is a quality fuel, but that B10 can be almost anything the refiner/supplier wants to sell.

Bio-diesel made form animal fats is BAD BAD JUJU, and will gel at temps close to 40*F. Well "gel" is not exactly, the CPP (clouding Pour Point) is more accurate, but the affect is gelling. B5 must be vegitable based, B6 and higher, only god and the supplier know what was used.

Someone posted that "there is no way B10 will hurt your motor", well that's not completely true. It might be for a DMax, but the CTD and PSDs are severely affected by low fuel pressure, and you can do serious damage to the injector tips if fuel pressure is too low.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 PM

i live in a warm semi-warm area(SC) went to mountains in NC found a place with B10. Going up the mountains I was wondering if i left the engine at the gas station. I had only about 8k on the truck then so I wonder if it was "cleaning it out" or just lower cetane. Its been 10k since then and a fuel fliter change no problems now. Just thought that at 8k not much to clean and clog on my truck but still had lower umph to it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

A diesel wont have much build up on the fuel system until it reaches 100K. So a newer truck under that should have zero to very little problems with filters.

Straight from the National Biodiesel Board wesite.

"Ensuring consumers have a high level of confidence in the biodiesel they purchase is a top priority for the NBB and key element in the industry's continued growth.

Regulation of fuel standards is a function primarily left to the states. However, regulation of biodiesel and blends is not uniform across all states.

The NBB is undertaking a project to work with states to catalog information regarding their authority to regulate fuels; their status in adopting ASTM D6751 as the fuel specification for biodiesel; enforcement procedures; and to assess their capacity to analyze samples
."

This will hopefully ensure by the end of this year that when you go to the pump to pump B20, it is surely 20% bio, and when you get B50 you just put 50% of a farmers crop in your truck or car.

Hope this helps,
Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode