Treating used fryer oil? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Trav4011, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1132 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Treating used fryer oil?

My family owns a local restaurant, that currently goes through roughly a 55 gallon drum of vegetable oil every week. They simply toss it out! I could take half of it per week, and fill my tank.. My question is.. how hard is it to treat/clean, and is there any refining process to make it work?

Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 AM
MAFIA MEMBER 106

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to camojeeper
yes i think the set up to make bio diesel is about 3 grand the fry oil is the main part of it then some other stuff goes in/out of it im sure some one will chim in with a link but i dont think it can be burned with out refinment good luck
steve

STEVE TDG MAFIA#106
99.5 psd SDSC 4x Diesel hot rod tug boat. TN BB turbo,230CC 0.0085"EH nozzles GTS HYBRIDS,Pat's tranny,5",Autometers/Scan gauge, ARP'S, DP tuner f-5 ,MAGIC SMOKE PERFORMANCE INTAKE ,AIH delete,Snows water/meth,map sens blowoff,trans lockup,ITP RR w/FB delete oh ya and a detroit locker now with a TWIN PUMP TERMINATOR OIL system
96 CC DRW south bend,DP,MAGIC SMOKE performance,4" exh,Autometer, TERMINATOR OIL
76 CJ-7 B/B FUEL INJECTED AMC 401cid V-8, T-18, D 20 transfer case with 5.38's in the D44's full family cage,ARB air locker rear, lock right front, 37"goodyears [email protected]

MY PICS http://photobucket.com/magicsmokeperformanceJody of DP-Tuner has Driven my truck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 PM

You can do one of two things. Either convert your truck to use straight WVO (waste veggie oil) or start making biodiesel.

The WVO conversion basically has you adding a 2nd fuel tank, heater to heat the fuel, strong fuel pump (WVO is higher viscosity than diesel), and a switch that allows you to go from your diesel to the WVO. I think you have to start your truck on diesel and switch to the WVO once the system has sufficiently heated the oil. Conversely, you have to switch back to diesel for a few minutes before you turn off your truck to make sure the WVO is purged from the system before the truck cools down. There might be more. I'm not totally up on my WVO knowledge.

I'm working on going the biodiesel route. You do not need to change anything on your truck to run bio so long as all your truck's rubber parts are synthetic. Newer trucks are all synthetic, so you should be fine. The only downside to bio is that if you live in a cold climate, it will gel up much faster than dino diesel.
You can build yourself an Appleseed processor for cheap, and it's fairly easy. Google it. I'm still in the early stages, making small batches and learning the reaction to ensure I make good bio.
As far as chemicals, you'll need a line on methanol and either potassium hydroxide (KOH) or sodium hydroxide (NaOH). You mix the KOH and methanol to make methoxide, which is the catalyst of the reaction. You will need to be ABSOLUTELY sure no water gets into the reaction or it will not occur. You can do oil tests to see if there is any moisture in it (heat it up and see if it pops).
After you make your bio, you will need to wash with water and dry it to be sure you get rid off all the residual soap and methanol to avoid water in your diesel (I know, that sounds funny).

It's actually pretty fun and very rewarding to think that you just took $$ out of the middle east's pocket! If you try a small batch and it doesn't work out, just keep notes on what you did and where you think you went wrong (too much KOH, water in the process, not agitated enough, blah blah) and try again. I actually got it right on my first batch, then failed on the next one because I wasn't as careful.

Here are links to where I started. Sorry for the long winded post!

Here
Here
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Riding solow on the Hog

Garage
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee?...p.cc%2Fgroupee
That link will explain everything, and no, you dont have to spend three grand to build a processor. I built mine for 350.00, and can process 40 gallon batches.

"MOby" The big white bio-burning 03 7.3 4x4. 6637, straight piped stock exhaust, and a new "secret" blend of Haul asBLEEPsing mods and upgrades. Suffice to say, its still not the fastest, but its quick enough to worry lots!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 PM
MAFIA MEMBER 106

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to camojeeper
so how long does it take to make a batch i burn about 100 gals a week and iwould like to go bio but can i make that much and how much of a hasle is it to go get the oil etc etc etc?

STEVE TDG MAFIA#106
99.5 psd SDSC 4x Diesel hot rod tug boat. TN BB turbo,230CC 0.0085"EH nozzles GTS HYBRIDS,Pat's tranny,5",Autometers/Scan gauge, ARP'S, DP tuner f-5 ,MAGIC SMOKE PERFORMANCE INTAKE ,AIH delete,Snows water/meth,map sens blowoff,trans lockup,ITP RR w/FB delete oh ya and a detroit locker now with a TWIN PUMP TERMINATOR OIL system
96 CC DRW south bend,DP,MAGIC SMOKE performance,4" exh,Autometer, TERMINATOR OIL
76 CJ-7 B/B FUEL INJECTED AMC 401cid V-8, T-18, D 20 transfer case with 5.38's in the D44's full family cage,ARB air locker rear, lock right front, 37"goodyears [email protected]

MY PICS http://photobucket.com/magicsmokeperformanceJody of DP-Tuner has Driven my truck
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Riding solow on the Hog

Garage
THE LINK!! Follow the LINK, man! FOLLOW the LINK!
Seriously, I can generate almost 100 gallons a week with the "GL One Day Process". I only had to do it for the first month, tho, to get a couple of batches ahead. Now Im back to one batch a week (40ga) With no less than 70ga in reserve at all times. I personally found that getting WVO was only as hard as talking to a couple of Oriental restraunt managers. (Both use Soybean oil). I have three establishments that I gather from, once a month, which is PLENTY for my own personal use. (As stated, when I started I gathered from five different establishments, but now Ive pared it back to three, and "Given" The other two sources to another local starting biodieseler.) As for Methanol, the other major ingredient for bd, I sourced that from a 76 station in the next town over, who supplies the local racetrack here. (Santa Maria Speedway) Wether or not bio will be viable for you depends heavily upon availability/cost per gallon of the Methanol, followed closely by availability of WVO.

"MOby" The big white bio-burning 03 7.3 4x4. 6637, straight piped stock exhaust, and a new "secret" blend of Haul asBLEEPsing mods and upgrades. Suffice to say, its still not the fastest, but its quick enough to worry lots!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:06 PM

I too am extremely interested in this subject, the prices of diesel is killing me! But I do not have the space to make my own.........anybody in Central Florida making Bio and want to sell the extra? :sofa

'03 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3l - Family Hauler
Performance Mods: Superchips flashpaq set to Performance, slotted/dimpled rotors,
Zoodad mod, Steveracer mod, D.I.Y. intake & CCV Reroute
Interior Mods: Alpine CDA-9883 Head Unit w/ SWI-JACK & iPod, Infinity & Plolk 5x7"s, Sirius satellite,
Alpine PKG-RSE2 10.2" Drop Down DVD w/ PS2 Slim
Future mods: Exhaust and suspension; maybe airbags as I would like to lower it a little for the kids! :Thumbup:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:45 AM
Riding solow on the Hog

Garage
If you have space enough for an average 50ga water heater with a 55 gallon drum standing next to it, you have enough space. THE LINK I POSTED SAYS IT ALL, and more!
Oh, and the Journey to forever site is SOOOO erroneous!! I do NOT recommend it as a good source of information, cause it just isnt.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 05:51 AM
4cstr

I moved this into the bio-diesel forum as it dealt more with that subject.

this is something I really need to look into.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 AM

I will give you all some advice, if you live on the East Coast, espicially the South east, resturants do not throw it out. Well they do put it in grease dumpsters, but are given roughly $0.06 per pound, roughly $0.50 a gallon. So be prepared to to offer them some money for it, its worth it. I produce over a thousand gallons a week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode