biodiesel questions..... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by blk99, this thread has received 20 replies and been viewed 1742 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Mafia Member #93

biodiesel questions.....

I want to start doing biodiesel.... I have learned the basics of it but I still have a few questions...

1. If I make the "Appleseed processor" can I make all the plumbing out of PVC piping???

2. do you use the waterheater heating elements for heating the oil or does it need to be a external source??

3. can the processed biodiesel be stored for a later date or does it need to be used ASAP??? if so, how long can it be stored???

4. what do I have to do to my truck??? I have heard that you need special fuel line.... :shrug:

5. can it be mixed with standard diesel?? like if your running out and need to fill up at a station....

Thats it for now but I may think of more....

Thanks!
~Jim

early 99 with some stuff on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 02:35 AM

I'll only answer what I have learned - having never made BD, but using commercial B20 for several years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk99
I want to start doing biodiesel.... I have learned the basics of it but I still have a few questions...

1. If I make the "Appleseed processor" can I make all the plumbing out of PVC piping???

2. do you use the waterheater heating elements for heating the oil or does it need to be a external source?? Heating the oil prior to filtering and in order to get it to temp to react.

3. can the processed biodiesel be stored for a later date or does it need to be used ASAP??? if so, how long can it be stored??? Depends on the container and the environment in which you hope to store it. BD can be stored, but should be treated with a diesel algaecide if it's going to be there through major temp changes and/or longer than 4-6 months.

4. what do I have to do to my truck??? I have heard that you need special fuel line.... :shrug: Keep a couple of extra fuel filters handy. I've run B20 for nearly 4 yrs now and had no problems. If you run B100, you may want to invest in Teflon fuel line since anything else will break down over time.

5. can it be mixed with standard diesel?? like if your running out and need to fill up at a station.... Absolutely. It should be mixed with something else in colder weather to prevent issues such as gelling. Commercial B2, B5, B10, B20, B50, B99, and B100 are available; which means that the other % of that mixture is petro-diesel.

Thats it for now but I may think of more....

Thanks!
~Jim
Do a lot of research and understand the risks and time involved.

Wish you well on your endeavors.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd

powered by DP-Tuner

My Photography addiction

Mafia # 27

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:02 AM

where are you getting the B20 from?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 PM

I buy mine commercially.

You can find a station near you here http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...s/default.shtm

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd

powered by DP-Tuner

My Photography addiction

Mafia # 27

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM

thanks for the link. Unfortunately, there are none in Indianapolis. Figures. What are you paying for yours where you buy it?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 07:57 PM

$3.89

prt
who's off to browse the web for a TDI Jetta

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd