Cheap Oil transfer pump? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by RSieck, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 14617 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to RSieck
Cheap Oil transfer pump?

I'm looking for a cheap way to pump oil from a 55 gallon barrel thru a filter and into my tank. I'm going to be pumping Waste engine oil. I don't care if its used, just need to move some oil.

Early 99 F250 4x4 Ext Cab LB, DP Tuner, Intake/4" Straight Pipe
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:06 PM

Harbor freight has a 1 inch clear water pump for around 30-35 bucks. it works real good with heated oil. i dont know how it would be with cold stuff though. if you register with their web site theyll send you online specials and coupons. i got one of those pumps for 25 bucks a couple years ago. if you get one, they dont come with a cord. They are blue in color. youll need to get adapters and a butt load of teflon tape.

97 Dodge 4x4 x-cab.206,000 mi. 4.10s. 5 speed. 330 bosch marines. pump at 16*advanced. boost at 35#s. AFE 4in, Turbo back, Magnaflow. Boost guage and pre turbo pyrometer. LuK Pro Gold Clutch.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Send a message via AIM to RSieck
Sounds good. I'll check it out!!

Early 99 F250 4x4 Ext Cab LB, DP Tuner, Intake/4" Straight Pipe
:
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 AM

I have one of these, works pretty good:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 03:52 AM

the best pump i have for pumping wmo is an air operated diaphram pump made by ARO you can set your pressure to exactly what the filter is designed to handle. i have used gear pumps, vane pumps and impeller type none even come close. check ebay thats where i got mine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM

only thing about the clear water pump is that its not self priming, it will give you a fit if the oil isn't gravity fed to the pump.

1996 F 250 extended cab,4x4,7.3l auto trans,power adder cone filter, 3.5 inch straight exhaust, DFuser 18k mod.and veggie powered.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:38 AM
zag

I have that pump now and priming it is a pain - one small air bubble and it's time to prime it again! Anyone have any easy way to prime it?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 PM

I have this pump from Harbor Freight as well and it works really well for me. But I've installed two check valves to keep the pump primed. Inlet side: 1" clear tubing from pump to 1" check valve then an 90deg elbow, then 1" pvc long enough to go to bottom of barrel and then another 1" check valve. Outlet side: 90deg elbow at the pump, 1" clear tubing to 1" check valve then filter. This keeps the pump primed on both ends and I rarely have an issue w/ keeping it primed for months at a time. Also, I keep an old juice bottle full of cleaned/filted oil just in case I do loose prime; just disconnect the tubing and fill w/ the oil and back in business.

Also, I know it's not prefered but I do suck from the bottom. On my wash/heat barrel, I use a 12v pump to suck to water a crap off the bottom into a cubie to discard then filter the oil to my next heat barrel, then I get about a gallon of the bottom into another container before filtering into my ready for truck barrel. This has been working very well for me so far and I've done the hot pan test in the past w/ great results.

Sorry, I'm not sure why I rambled on like that...............lol The pump works great, just make your life easier w/ check valves!

'03 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3l - Family Hauler
Performance Mods: Superchips flashpaq set to Performance, slotted/dimpled rotors,
Zoodad mod, Steveracer mod, D.I.Y. intake & CCV Reroute
Interior Mods: Alpine CDA-9883 Head Unit w/ SWI-JACK & iPod, Infinity & Plolk 5x7"s, Sirius satellite,
Alpine PKG-RSE2 10.2" Drop Down DVD w/ PS2 Slim
Future mods: Exhaust and suspension; maybe airbags as I would like to lower it a little for the kids! :Thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode