The Diesel Garage banner

Is a 2002 worth keeping after 200,000 miles?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  fordt 
#1 ·
I have 160,000 miles and am afraid of my injectors going out once I hit that 200,000 mile mark. What would you guys do? Send it down the road and get another newer truck? Or keep it and gamble? I lov my truck and do not want to ge rid of it. But Im thinking about the cost of replacing injectrors out of pocket. Does any one know how much that costs? Anyones .02 cents would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!!

#3 ·
I would call a local dealer and inquire about the cost of such a repair. Then save the money in the bank and take it to a good diesel shop that can do it for less and with the same or better quality.

Tony

#4 ·
KEEP IT! i plan on running mine until it dies.... then I will revive it :) I have never had such a great truck.. even though it has had its problems (like all others do).. currently does anyone know what are the most miles put on a LB7?

#5 ·
my buddy has an 01' LB7 that just turned 310,000 miles!! not too shabby! hasn't had to do anything to the engine or tranny. big stickler for maintenance. tows a trailer every summer with it. he plans on keeping it......... my 02' only has 84k on it. just getting broken in!!cheers!!:smoke

#7 ·
my 01 and 1999XX on it when i traded it in i loved the truck just found the only truck that i would trade it in for. For just the right amout of money i just had a new set of injectors put in it and ran great probly better than this truck but thats because i cant shift as fast as the ally did i would keep it if i were you

#8 ·
It is almost always cheaper to keep her. You don't even have problems with it's injectores. It might not happen for a long time. I always wondered out loud why guys sell their trucks so soon, sometimes less than 100k. mi. I take a lot of pride in my trucks and it shows when I sold my two gas 300 Fords with 213k. and 225k. Actually I gave one to a charity for a tax break. We pay an extra 5-7k for a diesel and many "get rid of them" thinking they are going to have trouble. Maybe, maybe not, but we loose 10-15% of our valuable money when you trade in. I have an 05 GMC diesel and I won't be happy unless I get 400k mi. before it's junk. HD parts last longer and so does the diesel. If I can't get 400k mi. on my truck it will be cheaper to run half ton gassers. Later Steve.

#9 ·
i would keep it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.