F350 + GMC Brigader + Icy hills = A LITTLE FUN! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by STANG302, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1801 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

F350 + GMC Brigader + Icy hills = A LITTLE FUN!

My old man picked up this old GMC plow truck this summer. But was unable to pick up the plow as it was at a different location. Well finally about a month ago they finally brought the plow down so we could pick it up. Went and tried to hook it up and nothing. Hydraulic ram for the front plow was shot and would only pick up the blade 1-2". Well we had a new ram made. And finaly got it back yesterday.

And this is were the fun began. Friday after Christmas it got up to 42 degrees here in WI. And as the next day rolled around and temps droped back to a normal 24 degrees all that melted snow froze up once again. Couldn't have picked a worse day to go hook up to the plow and bring it home.

Got over to the shop were it was sitting at the bottom of a couple rolling hills. Driveway covered in 0.5-2" of ice in some spots. Old man decided that he could make it back up with the gmc so down we went. Once down there we realized that it wasn't going to be that easy. Plow was frozen to the ground and the gmc wouldn't break it free. Ran home in my truck grabbed a couple chains. Got back hooked up to the plow and with a couple tugs. Broke it loose and dragged it to were we could hook it up to the truck. And after a 50lb bag of calcium cloried for traction and a half an hour. We finaly got the plow attached and in the air.

New ram works great but now we have a hydraulic leak some were. Like traction on ice wasn't worse enough! With the plow on the front the gmc was going no where. Chained the gmc behind me and we gave here hell. And only made it half way up the first hill. So luckily I just picked up 600lbs of sand bags a few day's earlier to split between my old mans truck and mine. Well we used over 500lbs of it to sand the entire drivway. Almost 150 yards total.

Gave it another try with my truck screaming for mercy we made it up the first hill. And half way up the second about 20 yards from the road. Before I spun through the sand to a halt. Backed part way down the hill. Gave it another try and stopped in about the same spot. We backed further down almost to the top of the first hill. Gave her billy gain and draged the old man up on to the road!

And my old man said my little powerstroke wouldn't be able to drag him up those hills. Well we showed him! Had more fun yesterday with the old man than I think we've had in years!

Wish I had my camera with me. But here's one of the gmc this summer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 07:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Road Boss
What is under the hood?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

3208 cat I believe.

Last edited by STANG302; 12-28-2008 at 08:47 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

Alors pourquoi pas arrache le 3208 vieux moteur dehors et installé 6V-92 Détroit dans là?

{ Then why not rip the 3208 motor out and install the 6V-92 Detorit in there ? }

Merci,Marc
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Road Boss
A detroit would fit the image on this truck. Well hell, it would sound awesome too!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Not much plans for it. Were going to rip the belly blade off next summer and rebuild the trans. Syncro's are just about gone. Motor is a gutless wonder but she only has 40K or so miles on her and runs like a top. Dad bought it mainly to haul our car wash pit sand to the land fill. And do some small haul jobs for people in the area.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:00 PM

Nice truck

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 01:06 AM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG302 View Post
My old man picked up this old GMC plow truck this summer. But was unable to pick up the plow as it was at a different location. Well finally about a month ago they finally brought the plow down so we could pick it up. Went and tried to hook it up and nothing. Hydraulic ram for the front plow was shot and would only pick up the blade 1-2". Well we had a new ram made. And finaly got it back yesterday.

And this is were the fun began. Friday after Christmas it got up to 42 degrees here in WI. And as the next day rolled around and temps droped back to a normal 24 degrees all that melted snow froze up once again. Couldn't have picked a worse day to go hook up to the plow and bring it home.

Got over to the shop were it was sitting at the bottom of a couple rolling hills. Driveway covered in 0.5-2" of ice in some spots. Old man decided that he could make it back up with the gmc so down we went. Once down there we realized that it wasn't going to be that easy. Plow was frozen to the ground and the gmc wouldn't break it free. Ran home in my truck grabbed a couple chains. Got back hooked up to the plow and with a couple tugs. Broke it loose and dragged it to were we could hook it up to the truck. And after a 50lb bag of calcium cloried for traction and a half an hour. We finaly got the plow attached and in the air.

New ram works great but now we have a hydraulic leak some were. Like traction on ice wasn't worse enough! With the plow on the front the gmc was going no where. Chained the gmc behind me and we gave here hell. And only made it half way up the first hill. So luckily I just picked up 600lbs of sand bags a few day's earlier to split between my old mans truck and mine. Well we used over 500lbs of it to sand the entire drivway. Almost 150 yards total.

Gave it another try with my truck screaming for mercy we made it up the first hill. And half way up the second about 20 yards from the road. Before I spun through the sand to a halt. Backed part way down the hill. Gave it another try and stopped in about the same spot. We backed further down almost to the top of the first hill. Gave her billy gain and draged the old man up on to the road!

And my old man said my little powerstroke wouldn't be able to drag him up those hills. Well we showed him! Had more fun yesterday with the old man than I think we've had in years!

Wish I had my camera with me. But here's one of the gmc this summer.

Really there's no issue with "power". This is a traction issue. I have pulled an 18 wheeler delivery truck stuck on my jobsite out with an F-150 4x4 with a 190HP 302. I also pulled out a Kenworth stuck in a farmfield with one of my Powerstroke 4x4s.

All ordinary 4x2 dumptrucks suck on ice. They're heavy, the tire sidewalls are stiff and their suspensions are too stiff to allow any "give" on slippery surfaces.

There's nothing like 4 wheel drive on slippery surfaces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode