Misled? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by AlbertaOil, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 2123 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Misled?

Good Evening All from Alberta Canada,

I purchased my very first diesel with a 1995 International 4700 single axle dump truck. I believe it to be a 190 HP DT466 with an Allison Automatic with a 4.10 rear end and hydrulic Brakes. Originally from California State, it was brought up to Canada and sold to me. It is a very clean, nice looking truck as I brought it for my newly established Landscaping company. I was hoping it would be able to pull my equipment trailer and equipment (total of 14,000 lbs) across the foothills of the Rockies, but I can barely get 30mph out of her uphill, as there are several long steep grades as I am just located inside the Rockies. Can anyone tell me this truck should be able to tow this equipment without issues...or was I conned into too light an engine?

All opinions welcomed, as this is my very first diesel truck which I really wan to work out for me. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOil View Post
Good Evening All from Alberta Canada,

I purchased my very first diesel with a 1995 International 4700 single axle dump truck. I believe it to be a 190 HP DT466 with an Allison Automatic with a 4.10 rear end and hydrulic Brakes. Originally from California State, it was brought up to Canada and sold to me. It is a very clean, nice looking truck as I brought it for my newly established Landscaping company. I was hoping it would be able to pull my equipment trailer and equipment (total of 14,000 lbs) across the foothills of the Rockies, but I can barely get 30mph out of her uphill, as there are several long steep grades as I am just located inside the Rockies. Can anyone tell me this truck should be able to tow this equipment without issues...or was I conned into too light an engine?

All opinions welcomed, as this is my very first diesel truck which I really wan to work out for me. Thanks in advance!
It sounds about right to me with a long steep grade. I had four trucks with DT-466 engines with two being 210hp and a steep grade would pull them down to a relatively set speed and they would set there and pull. I wouldn't be too concerned but the horsepower can be bumped up a bit by a fuel shop without changing any parts and still be reliable. You have a good drivetrain there but I wouldn't plan on driving it with your rt. foot mashed on the floor all the time or it will be short lived. That DT series of engine is a very good platform and with the truck being in good condition from lack of rust, should last a good long time. The real only problems I had with my trucks with hydraulic disc brakes was the brake calipers would wear their mountings and rattle terrible as you drive. Not a problem as far as reliability, but noisey, (to me).

Long story short is I really don't think you were mislead. The engine is relatively low horsepower rated and running as designed. It is more of a city delivery platform than your use but should still work well. Asking it to run the mountains is really outside of it's design parameters, but it'll probably not operate there consistently. I'd wager you will come to like it.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:37 AM

we had them years ago in tandem trucks. loaded around 45,000 pounds. no racehorse 60 mph max with no headwind. what rpm are you at when pulling at 30 mph? can you try a lower or higher gear. too much rpm and you don't make any torque.14,000 I'd think you should do a little better. you might be having issues, wouldn't hurt to get it checked. plugged fuel or air filter?

Canadian Club #31
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Will look into it, it chums along fine without a load....but pulling a load of
16 000lbs (tractor and trailer) its having a hell of a time up any hill. Air filter I changed out, but I havent touched the fuel filter yet. I will tomorrow.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:54 PM

Does it still have commifornia fuel in the tank. Could have some gelling, or even algae if it down there for a while

Canadian Club #31
The Following User Says Thank You to nitrogen For this addition to TDG:
indiana lineman (04-26-2014)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 06:56 PM

I use to drive a semi back in the early 70s in the southeastern US. It had a 238 HP International diesel and it wasn't uncommon to have to get down into second gear and crawl up the mountains when it was loaded. Things have really come a long way since then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode