receiver hitch - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jarhead, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 1758 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #45

receiver hitch

i am in need of a good class v hitch. the kind that has the 2.5" receiver. anybody got a idea where i could get one.

Randy
05 Dodge str8 pipe, smarty jr, afe, airbags, and pacbrake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 02:13 PM
'Ol Builder guy

I like Putnam the best.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 01:44 AM

i have a reese tow beast. have been happy with it so far.
good luck,
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 03:43 AM

Draw Tite and Reese both make good hitches for a reasonable price- If you are looking for cheap, Reese offers a "universal" class v that you can find at places like Pep Boys, Autozone, or Wal Mart, but may not fit your truck. It is a bolt together version of the specific application welded ones, but it carries the same weight rating.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #45
Threadstarter

it needs to be have 14000 lb tow rate or more.

here is pic of what i tow almost everyday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 (3).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	15047  

Randy
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 PM

O.K., the ones at the parts stores are almost always class IV, which would get you up to 12,000# weight carrying, or 15,000# with a weight distributing hitch system.

A class V is rated up to 12k weight carrying and 17k weight distributing, but the hitch rating could be lower depending on the truck it's made for-

In your case, it appears that you are putting this on your '02 Dodge Ram, which means that the class IV and class V have identical ratings for your application. This is due to mounting restrictions on each individual vehicle. As the hitch receiver is changed for each vehicle application, so does the rating. I would go with the class IV hitch for a few reasons- There is no increased towing capability with the class V for your truck, the V's are a lot more money, and most places don't carry class V accessories like drawbars on the shelf.

What is the GVWR on the trailer? You may be exceeding the rating of the trailer. Because you are limited in the amount you can bumper pull because of the truck design and not power, you may want to look into a fifth wheel or gooseneck setup if you tow close to the max. rating of a bumper pull regularly. Also, a fiver or GN is a much safer comination to tow in general.

But like I pointed out, a class IV for your truck is good to 12k WC and 14k WD, so you would be good with the trailer you have as long as you don't exceed 14k and you're not exceeding the GVWR of the trailer.

If I have your truck wrong, let me know- I'll find the specs for whatever you've got............
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Putnams are rated at 15,000lbs weight carrying and 16,000 load distributing. That should work nicely.

Try here, they're a vendor on our site. Scroll down till you see the Putnams. Mine is awesome.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...ord-f-350.aspx
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Putnams are rated at 15,000lbs weight carrying and 16,000 load distributing. That should work nicely.

Try here, they're a vendor on our site. Scroll down till you see the Putnams. Mine is awesome.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...ord-f-350.aspx
It depends on the truck, and which bumper you have- for the '02 Dodge, look here and see which one fits and what the rating is......If you have the long bed w/the 10" step bumper, you're only up to 12k...
The other think to look at is the ball coupler- bumper pull ball couplers typically max out at 10k lbs(2 5/16" ball), but there are a few 15k's out there (the rating is stamped on the coupler body), so even if you get the Putnam that's rated to 16, you won't be able to find a bumper pull trailer that will take the weight.......

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...dodge-ram.aspx

Hey Duke- good link- I had never heard of Putnam, looks like a good hitch and are really nicely priced! That Southwest Wheel has a lot of stuff- have you ordered from them? what's the shipping time like?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #45
Threadstarter

the gvwr on the trailer is 14k. i have done cracked the one that comes on the truck. tongue weight is around 1400. this is my 2nd job. i am at 14110 mile for the year so far.

a new fifth wheel is going to be order in june. a 40' kaufman 2 car.

Randy
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 AM

ClassV Hitches

I have a F350 and the 05 up factory hitches have 2.5" reciever. Putman does not have one listed as of yet, but I think that I read they were going to have one soon. I know that Chevy 08 also have a 2.5" opening but the factory stuff in both cases is inferior to Putman, Reese, Valley etc. With that much weight it would seem that the larger 2.5" rather that 2" would be a good advantage with heavier loads.

I tow a 30' tri-axle Alum enclosed race trailer.

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode