Opinions on a trailer - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by D-Man, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 1472 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Opinions on a trailer

Well, I bought a Case skid steer today and need to get a trailer to haul it.
I'm starting a part time material hauling business. Just moving landscape rock, cleaning horse barns, snow removal etc. The skidsteer weighs 6600
pound and I'm buying a 14k lb rated trailer. I know, probably don't need one that heavy. I want to be able to use it to possibly haul cars and trucks if the occassion arises.
If my business doesn't work out after a year, I'll want to sell my skid steer, trailer and other equipment.
So here's my questions. I want fold-up ramps because I don't care about wind drag while hauling a skid steer around town but, do most people like the fold-up or stow away. This if for my possible resale.
Also, I would prefer to have a rail around it. But I realize that isn't great for car hauling (but still doable). Again, for resale, which would be better, rail or no rail?
Thanks for all opinions.

(I realize I looking on the negative side and my possibility of failure on my business but, I've got to be realistic)

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man
Well, I bought a Case skid steer today and need to get a trailer to haul it.
I'm starting a part time material hauling business. Just moving landscape rock, cleaning horse barns, snow removal etc. The skidsteer weighs 6600
pound and I'm buying a 14k lb rated trailer. I know, probably don't need one that heavy. I want to be able to use it to possibly haul cars and trucks if the occassion arises.
If my business doesn't work out after a year, I'll want to sell my skid steer, trailer and other equipment.
So here's my questions. I want fold-up ramps because I don't care about wind drag while hauling a skid steer around town but, do most people like the fold-up or stow away. This if for my possible resale.
Also, I would prefer to have a rail around it. But I realize that isn't great for car hauling (but still doable). Again, for resale, which would be better, rail or no rail?
Thanks for all opinions.

(I realize I looking on the negative side and my possibility of failure on my business but, I've got to be realistic)
I like fold over ramps, and imo for the price the kaufman 25000gvrw 25 ft trailer is right on for the money. I realize pry way more hten your thinkingb but if you ever want resale, I have seen many sell for practically new price many ask 6500 used. That would allow bigger brakes, and if you wanted to move the rocks AND skid at the same time to unload and still not worry about going over gvrw.

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:14 PM

I have two considerations.....I am in the landscape/excavation business and often I side load stuff on the trailer. Thus, don't care for sides. If you don't have them and it has stake pockets and you need side, sideboards are easy to do.

Ramps, I am old and my back is not as good as it used to be!!! I don't like handling my 80# + ramps. If I am just haluing the machine only, I use a hydraulic tilt bed and it is easy to load and easy to boom down. I can be on the road in half the time with it compared to ramps and climbing over sides to secure the load.

I spent years hauling my bobcat on a sided trailer with flipups without securing it. Lucky I didn't ever have a big swerve!. Now have a DOT and I have to secure.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:40 PM
'Ol Builder guy

I think the stow away ramps are really slick if i was going to do ramps. Myself? I'd get a hydraulic ramp deck over.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 05:47 PM

Hydraulic tails are sssssssuppppppppeeeeeerrrrrrrrr slick, you can haul weight "on the ramp" could go to loading dock height if need be. Those are slick too

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
#23 Singles Club
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Here's my powertilt:

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Here's my powertilt:

Very, very nice! That tilt would be handy. :Thumbup:

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 06:46 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Thanks. It's a Cam Superline. Practically the whole undercarriage is Dexter.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 01:46 AM

Nothing against your trailer duke but I have never liked tilt decks, thats just my opinion. I know around here esp if youg ot a long one, if you try to get to the front and it is icy the machine might not climb up there, some maachines are worse then others. Then you have to dismount the machine when it isnt tied down. I personally dont like tilt decks they do have a few advantages but in the winter and w/scissor lifts etc they can sometimes be a pain. Lots of hydraulic tails have a low enough load angle you can load even low machines like that.

#23 Singles Club
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 01:02 PM

Garage

Plus, not all skid steers have good parking brakes.

Not only snow, but also greasy gumbo. Would slide on a wood deck. Wood can be slick when wet, too.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode