Gooseneck w/ service body pictures! Advice needed! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by rbelden, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 7792 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Gooseneck w/ service body pictures! Advice needed!

Hello all,

Attached are the pictures of my truck under my new horse trailer. I have 4" of clearance from the top of the sides to the lower surface of the trailer. As you can see from the pictures, there's not much room behind either. I plan on getting a hitch called the popup CC4 hitch that uses Timbren absorbers and also sets the trailer 9" further behind the coupler. This should solve the bumper clearance problems but what about the height? Is this enough space for safe towing? I'm really trying to avoid buying a lower profile service body. Anyone else out there ever towed with this type of bed?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf truck.pdf (399.5 KB, 1205 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:39 AM

Wow, that's way to close! (Been there, done that, just not with a service body) I saw your post on HTW but couldn't get it to load there. Sounds like you're on the right track with the new hitch, is that the one that goes into receiver in the bed and has a pivot point at one end and an air bag or bags at the other with the ball in between them? How close is the bumper to the trailer when turning right now? With the new hitch you may be ok with your service body, length of the trailer plays a factor here too, a short trailer will tilt more going over uneven ground than a long trailer will (longer is better if you don't want the body remodeled). I think you're going to have to try everything out and see what kind of dips, humps, ditches, etc. get you in a bad situation. Sorry I can't be of much help.

1999 IH 4900, DT466E 250hp, MD3060

2000 F350
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 05:00 AM

Bob- do you have any adjustment left in the gooseneck arm? With 4" of clearance, you're about halfway to what you really should have to avoid remodeling the truck and/or trailer while you're driving. If you're maxed out on adjustment, here's a few ideas:

Get a set of fifth wheel rails installed and buy the gooseneck adapter from Reese or Valley. I know it sounds ridiculous, but what this will do is raise the GN ball up off of your service bed about 3-4", getting you about what you need.

-OR-

Get a complete fifth wheel hitch, and swap out the gooseneck arm on the trailer with a kingpin adapter. This scenario will give you more vertical adustment, and move the pivot point of the truck/trailer up about 12-15" above the bed.

You should get more clearance with the second setup, but going with the first should get you what you need. BTW, the Reese adapter is slightly taller than the Valley, so I would probably go with that one to maximize the height.

Good luck!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Proposed solution

I do have more adjustment in the arm but it's not a good idea to tow a 38' trailer less than level. It puts too much strain on the torsion axles. I plan to lift the trailer 4" above the axles to accomodate the extra height in the front. This way I tow evenly. I don't mind having an extra 4" clearance underneath anyway as there is waste plumbing hanging down all over the place. I really just needed to know the standard clearance between the bed side top and the underneath of the trailer. I have 4" now so the extra 4" should put me at 8" which seems to be an average number. Thanks for the input. I'll update after I get it working just as an FYI.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:02 PM

A trailer that long can be several inches high in the front before you have an inch of difference on the axles.

1999 IH 4900, DT466E 250hp, MD3060

2000 F350
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:05 AM

Wider needs more clearance when the truck is out of level with the trailer.
I would be nervous with 10 in in a level parking lot - the place to get a good measure so you can turn and get out and measure. You also want to measure the 45 deg clearance bumper to trailer. The hitch may need set back to give clearance there to prevent scratched paint.

An inch or so on a 38 is a plan, a sub frame to boost the deck height to match the hitch set to clear the body is cheaper than a new body.

2x4 or 2x6 HW steel tube with cross members to keep it from tipping for a sub frame over the axle should be close.

The alternative is to just not get off camber so the trailer bites the bed, some parts of the country are flat.

I used to live in Colorado and pull 25 & 28 ft with over 12 in to the rail and 17 in to the bumper, that put the hitch 11 in back of the axle on one truck for the trailer. Caught a lot of comment on that rig, International 1 ton with a 2 speed rear clip under the pickup box streched to 9 1/2 feet.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode