I need some big winch help. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Lonesome7.3, this thread has received 28 replies and been viewed 2672 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonesome7.3
I need some big winch help.

No I am not trying to get away from a fat girl. (All though they do scare me). I am trying like hell to get some good recovery equipment. I have the tow rigs now I need trailers. Once I have them, I will need some big winches to mount on them. I know very little about the big boys. I want to mount one on a 53 foot flat bed that will haul heavy trucks and equipment. I need another one to mount on a 40 foot gooseneck that will haul lighter trucks and equipment. The forty footer will be towed by my F350 and the fifty three footer by a M915. So has you can see, I need some big winches capable of dragging non running loads up on the trailer decks. Should I go hydraulic or electric? Should they have their own power source or draw from the tow vehicles’ power? What are the maintenance issues I should consider? If one breaks in the middle of a recovery what options do I have to get it running and complete the recovery? What cable and material size should I be using for these types of jobs? Where should I look at as far as buying these winches? And most importantly I need a price range. I have more questions to follow, but these are a good enough start for now.

Oh, these are my tow vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0008.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	836.8 KB
ID:	17978   Click image for larger version

Name:	M915 1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	17979  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 AM

Many of those Military trucks have hydraulic winches. It really will depend if you want PTO, Electric over Hydraulic, or Electric as their are many choices available. Chris

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I want it mounted on the trailer. So a PTO is not an option.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 AM

Most trailers I see here have a wet kit on the truck and connect to the winch on the trailer with hose, just like if it were a dump. If you want electric you will need some heavy cables to get the power back there.

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I am thinking electric on the smaller trailer. So you aresaying the power unit is installed on the truck and the drum just connects via hydro cable. Correct? If that is the case I think it would work.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,064 Times in 566 Posts
Garage
I used one that had a wet kit on the truck and the hydro winch was mounted on the truck. Had a couple pulleys if the trailer was at an angle to the truck. Worked better for the situation, where you may have a different trailer. Just a thought for you.

-Wayne
2007 Chevy LBZ 6.6L Classic

Quote:
Age is a hell of a price to pay for maturity.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I thought about that. But by the time I can afford more trailers, I hope ot have different trucks any way.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM

If you mount it to the front of the trailer make sure it is a stout anchor point. You might try looking at some roll off bins and how their trailers are set up. Most have the winch on the truck with a PTO, but I have seen a couple with the winch on the trailer. Warn makes a 16,000# winch that is electric. That might be a good starting point for the smaller trailer. Rig up a couple of anchor points and use some snatch blocks and you may not need as big a winch as you are thinking about. Keep us posted as to how this turns out. Tulsa Winches are pretty good. I don't know if they make a hydraulic unit but it might be worth checking into.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks. I will check them out. I would prefer getting a good used winch thaty is rebiuldable.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 PM
I refuse to grow up

DP winches ("Tulsa") are good, and have an air pressure actuated freespool, worth it's weight in gold after you've pulled the cable out under power a few times in the rain.

the hyd ones, used on 1000's of wreckers, hold up great, and hold more cable than you'd ever need, and have tensioners built onto them, keeps the cable from ratsnesting on the drum. some have 2 speeds, but you wouldn't need it for a trailer.

for your big trailer, (having run landoll trailers a bit) I'd look for a 20k or 25k winch, more than enough to drag, and will hold more than enough cable to use a snatch block for loading and unloading, also, it's big enough to snatch off the tail of the trailer to slid it (EMPTY!!) or pull yourself backwards when (not if) you get stuck. anything bigger would be a waste of $$, smaller be alot of extra work with snatch blocks.

2 points (learned the hard way) after re-engaging the freespool, rock the drum in and out 3/4 turn, this reseats the teeth in the freespool assy, and put a pressure gauge on it, avoid pulling at over 2000PSI, if that high, add a snatch block. the brass bushings in the drum and planetary don't like pulling harder than that

you could call purpose wrecker, (i think) columbus or columbia, mo. just west of st louis. they buy and overhaul used wreckers, and mount new beds on older trucks. might have an older winch for sale.

one option for power, mount a pony motor (10 hp or so) and the pump/tank on the nose of the trailer or on the tractor, then it's self contained and easy to move to another power unit

Guess I never outgrew playing in sandboxes, I'm in an ongoing love/hate relationship with the truck that owns me, happily enabled by my girlfriend

99 F350 CC DRW 4x4 PSD 6spd work in constant progress
Hypertech, 8" lift, Kelderman rear air ride, 4" exh, zoodad, tube grill, push bar, Dynatrak freespin w/ crossover steering, short throw shifter, coolant filter, AFE stg II, HPX, Fuel pressure gauge, 05 eagle eye headlights, LED tailights, cab and fender, rear line of fire LED'S, Bypass oil filter, FASS fuel kit, regulated return, water/meth injection, Southbend clutch, NEXT- upgrade CAC, Injectors, Turbo, Better chip, and a 22.5 10 lug conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode