fifth-wheel towing - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mae, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 2047 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
mae

fifth-wheel towing

We would love to find a fifth-wheel towing system, especially if someone knows of one that's salvage. It's one of those that can be attached to one big truck to tow another. If anyone has seen one, cheap, or in need of repair, I'd love to know about it. Send me a note or post where I can reach you. Thanks Lots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:34 AM

If you can repair - it is simple to fab one from a scrap king pin plate and a 20t bottle jack.

There are also saddles for lifting the front axle to the 5th wheel.

Calif has a law that requires a tire rack for spares, so if that is in the program a saddle would need to mount the steers or a rack for the towed truck to mount the steers.

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
The Following User Says Thank You to keydl For this addition to TDG:
mae (11-20-2009)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 04:33 AM

5th wheel towing

MAE--the guys at the Big Truck Shop call it a {Big Ben}--its a 5th wheel late w/ a crane set up on it--usually w/ a jack & boom & usually chained down--to Haul what ever? very inexpensive to build--our shop has One --but I asked? NOPE! as We never know? when WE might need it? We have a freind--BILLY--that Tows all our Stuff--locally & We have a Tractor & low bed for All the Far away Stuff--were in MAINE & have gone to Oklahoma to retreive customers Trucks! --usually at a garage--We pay the towing & storage Haul E*M to our shop & re-pair what ever?--All are Major Jobs that cost Big Bucks on the Road!--here our customers are kinda like a Club--members--as they Do Go out of their Way for one other --if som,e one has a brakedown--they will see that the load is delivered--& get his truck back to our shop & get it Fixed--they lend each other their trailers --& tractors if Necessary--We just had a younger Trucker Loose a Radiator--& one of our older Truckers stopped in & dropped Off a New Core--as He & I were lugging it in--He told ME this is for RANDY--& drove away--I told Randy & He said He didn*t know any thing about IT??--Randy has three kids & hauls Hot Top locally--Hes been driving for some one Else just started on His Own--& thats the way all they ole Truc kers are here!--Ole JIM--
The Following User Says Thank You to Ole JIM For this addition to TDG:
mae (11-20-2009)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 06:30 PM

Just got lucky. Dad picked up an older f350 with a new goose neck hitch thats been pulled 3 times. Well a tank was going in the back for good. So out came the goose neck and we put it in my truck last weekend. Got to love freebee's!!!

04' F350 King Ranch
4' MBRP Turbo back
EGR valve delete spool
OSCEOLA PARTY RENTAL
The Following User Says Thank You to STANG302 For this addition to TDG:
mae (11-20-2009)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
mae
Threadstarter

A home build is possible, but a large undertaking. We have trouble finding enough time for such things. It would be great to find one scrapped or damaged. Repairs don't take as much of our time. I appreciate all responses. We are in the KY/TN area. If there are any of these just laying around, I'd love to be the genious that finds it. The Garage has helped me with near miracles before, and the guys think I am brilliant. Any assistance to maintaining this reputation would be great. I would give all the credit to The Garage, but that would blow my secret.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode