towing capacity - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by gobigorgohome, this thread has received 23 replies and been viewed 6524 times.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

towing capacity

is there a good website that shows a comparison of the towing capacity/ gvrw for the top 3 dodge, chevy, ford

differences between 3/4 and 1 ton dually and srw and different years...

or if somebody has a list

let me know what you got or if this has already been covered on this forum

07.5 duramax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 PM

They are all close and what will make a difference is how each vehicle is equip. You can go to each manufacture to find out what a new vehicle can be set up for. But if you combination of GVWR and trailer capacity exceed 26000 lbs you will become a CDL. In many states today tandem duals on a trailer is all it takes to be pulled over and get a ticket. We went to singles and down rated the axles to 7000 lbs each just to stay under the limit.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:40 PM

CDL stands for Commercial Drivers Liscense. If you are driving a vehicle pulling a trailer and both are registered in your name and you are not using it for business purposes, it can be as big as you want it to be. As long as it is registered as a private vehicle, nothing they can do.

1999 4700 Started life as a reg chassis, then got dropped 4 inches and then raised 6 inches and 4X4 added and now in the Med duty 4X4 club.
Marmon Herrington 8000lb front axle and transfer case
TS Box
385/65/22.5 Goodyears on 22.5X12.25 Alcoas
Custom bed in the works
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS31 View Post
CDL stands for Commercial Drivers Liscense. If you are driving a vehicle pulling a trailer and both are registered in your name and you are not using it for business purposes, it can be as big as you want it to be. As long as it is registered as a private vehicle, nothing they can do.
Wrong, just get caught and you will find out.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Dually Club #3

In Ca, if you go over 10K GVW on you trailer then at minimum you will need a non-commercial class A. So RWS31 it does matter what you do when you are on public roads. Just because you aren't a business doesn't mean you can tow anything you want. Sorry.
2wpuller likes this.

Jason

06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake,Mishimoto Radiator,Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY Innovative.
72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Dually Club #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigorgohome View Post
is there a good website that shows a comparison of the towing capacity/ gvrw for the top 3 dodge, chevy, ford

To get all that info onto one web site would be a huge undertaking. With all the different configurations, upgrades throughout the years, it would be a full time job to compile all that info. The best bet is to just find the weights for the specific vehicles you are interested in.

Jason

06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake,Mishimoto Radiator,Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY Innovative.
72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by later View Post
Wrong, just get caught and you will find out.
Doesn't matter to me, Fl doesn't have the non commercial liscence crap and I have a Class A.

1999 4700 Started life as a reg chassis, then got dropped 4 inches and then raised 6 inches and 4X4 added and now in the Med duty 4X4 club.
TS Box
Custom bed in the works
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:37 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigorgohome View Post

Ford is generally ahead "on paper" for towing with pickups. Ford tends to rate their trucks more liberally than GM. The thing you have to watch out for with Ford is that their trucks also weigh more than GM trucks, so payload is reduced by their empty weight.

If I were building a late model truck to tow, I would go with Dodge or GM based on their superior diesel engines and transmissions they offer ( 6 speed allison or 6 speed 68RE versus 5 speed Ford). The Dodge offers a factory exhaust brake and the GM offers manual paddle shifter on their Allison. Ford offers none of these options. GM & Dodge diesels also offer more TQ/HP down low in RPM range where you need it. IMO, Ford's last 2 diesel engines are not as good as the Cummins or DMAX based on reliability, HP/TQ and changing diesel engines so much..

Ford does offer some impressive towing specs, but make sure you read and check things for yourself and ask guys who tow for a living. All the shed delivery and hotshot guys around me with newer trucks seem to use GM or Dodge. GM for the dmax/ally/11.5" rear and Dodge for the Cummins/ex brake incredible torque.

Last edited by Duke; 07-18-2009 at 03:42 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS31 View Post
Doesn't matter to me, Fl doesn't have the non commercial liscence crap and I have a Class A.
Do you keep a log? Remember when you signed for those books when you got your Class A CDL (one for just a CDL and two if you have a HAZMAT endorsement? You signed the signature page and returned it to the DMV and they keep it. If you read what you signed it said you have read and understand the regulation within. The will except no excuses from a CDL holder and you and I are responsible for keeping up with all the changes. For all the States we operate in.

I am glad to see California being proactive in control of large vehicle. I see too many vehicle not being operated safely.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by later View Post
Do you keep a log? Remember when you signed for those books when you got your Class A CDL (one for just a CDL and two if you have a HAZMAT endorsement? You signed the signature page and returned it to the DMV and they keep it. If you read what you signed it said you have read and understand the regulation within. The will except no excuses from a CDL holder and you and I are responsible for keeping up with all the changes. For all the States we operate in.

I am glad to see California being proactive in control of large vehicle. I see too many vehicle not being operated safely.

Your kidding, right. I have to keep a log driving my own vehicle registered to me across the country. I think not. Just because I have a CDL, not a non commercial-commercial drivers liscence, does not mean that I have to maintain a log to travel. I drove my truck, 25,500 gvw, pulling my trailer, 21K gvw, all over the country and have been stopped and have never been ask to see a log. Now when I had my own business, a trucking business, and was driving one of them, logs were required.
Several years ago I moved a friend to Merced Ca. from Fl using one of my 4700's pulling a 48ft enclosed trailer both registered to my company. I got pulled over going down the Grapevine, speeding and in the wrong lane, I just plain old wasn't paying attention to the signs. The CHP officer ask me what I was doing and I told him, going home from moving a friend to Merced. Gave him the registration and he ask for a log book. Told him I didn't have a log book cause I borrowed the truck and trailer to move a friend. He was so beffuddled he let me go and didn't write me a ticket for anything. Still can't believe it to this day.

TS Box
Custom bed in the works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode