Truck stability - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Spindrift, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 659 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Truck stability

I had this post in the General Truck and Ex section but had no reponse...let's try again.

Over the past 6 months or so, I've been pulling out my hair trying to figure out what tire/wheel combo I should use in order to create the most stable towing platform as possible for my bumper pull travel trailer. I'm not interested in mileage. On road stability is my A1 goal and priority. Currently, I've got 285 75/16 BFGs on the stock 16X7 wheels...not the best combo. I've been torn between going with a more narrow tire to fit the existing wheel or ditching the wheels and going to a 16X8 wheel which is better suited to the 285s.

Then I started thinking about why all the newer trucks have ditched the 16X7 wheel in favor of something that has a wider diameter. I think it's time to begin the head scratching once again. Would I get a few chuckles if I asked for a concensus on what tire/wheel combo makes for the better towing platform? I believe the Ex has a higher center of gravity than the F Series, so a wider footprint may provide for more stability.

'12 F350 CC DRW KR, with some stuff
'13 Redwood 36FL

Gun Control means using both hands.

"I can sum up the clash of religion in one sentence:
My Invisible Friend is better than your Invisible Friend." Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:10 PM
LT.

I would suggest instead of trying to find the correct size you should first find a tire with the correct load rating. Try looking for a tire with a load range E rating and then start looking at different tread patterns and sizes. If you have already progressed passed that part then I would think a tire with less side wall would be more stable than a tire with more. Reason being is because then you would have less sidewall flex going on while pulling. Tread pattern would more than likely end up being a more highway friendly tread than an all terrain. The lugs would be arranged in grooves that go around the circumference of the tire instead of having interlocking lugs.

LT.

2010 Dodge, Cummins, 3500 dually, mega cab, SB, Big Horn Edition, silver, six speed auto tranny, Flo Pro 5" TBE straight piped, cat, DPF, and NOX MIA, H&S Performance Mini Maxx.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Current rubber is BFG All Terrain T/A KO, LR E.

'12 F350 CC DRW KR, with some stuff
'13 Redwood 36FL

Gun Control means using both hands.

"I can sum up the clash of religion in one sentence:
My Invisible Friend is better than your Invisible Friend." Anonymous
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 AM

I would go with a narrower tire. a 235/75r16 would be both narrower and have a shorter sidewall. but make sure that you have the widest track possible. my little bumper pull camper did way better with stiffer tires and some more spring under it to keep it from swaying side to side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode