The Diesel Garage banner

need suggestions

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MART5.9 
#1 ·
07 quad slt 2500 6spd manual, trailer tow group. i think the truck weighs in at 7300lbs. 8800 gvwt. 2 yards of topsoil flattened it out. my 97 reg cab took 4 and stood taller than the 07. i put 50 bags of mulch in the truck, that's about the most it feels confortable with, just guessing say 1800lbs. i have a 2400lb camper, and at times trailer a 7k boat/ trailer pkg. questions best way to beef up the suspension. with the stock rims do you think 285 tires will work well with an 8" rim. do i need a leveling kit. i typically drive 40k annually, and a very large portion of that is loaded, thanks doug

#2 ·
My truck before I added equipment onto it weighed in at 8200lbs. I added a air bag helper kit to it right away, and I love it! It was about $350.00 from Dodge. I thought about getting a 3500 at first until I found out that the only difference was that the 3500 single wheel had overload springs from the factory was all. Everything else was the same and the cost difference was $2100.00. I can keep my ride height where it should be so you don't have to mess with headlight aiming. My opinion is it was money very well spent, and easy to install yourself too.

#3 ·
dougeendreno said:
07 quad slt 2500 6spd manual, trailer tow group. i think the truck weighs in at 7300lbs. 8800 gvwt. 2 yards of topsoil flattened it out. my 97 reg cab took 4 and stood taller than the 07. i put 50 bags of mulch in the truck, that's about the most it feels confortable with, just guessing say 1800lbs. i have a 2400lb camper, and at times trailer a 7k boat/ trailer pkg. questions best way to beef up the suspension. with the stock rims do you think 285 tires will work well with an 8" rim. do i need a leveling kit. i typically drive 40k annually, and a very large portion of that is loaded, thanks doug

I got 285 on my stock wheel and it`s perfect.I use rear air suspension but the most simple kit with a tire valve! It`s very afordable woks great and takes 30 minutes to install yourself. Wathever is your load you can inflate like you need to keep your truck nice and level! You get that kit on e-bay, than dodge ram air suspension and your on....ARNOTT air ride system in Florida. These kit are perfect afordable and easy to install yourself . By the way shipping is free within US ....lucky guy!!! I tried the levering kit but once loaded the nose of the truck is highter than the rear so I took it of !!!! Oh, if not loaded you just deflated your air bags and you don`t have a stiff ride like added leafs!!! Enjoy your ride!!!!!:Thumbup:

#4 ·
cocotte did you recalibrate the speedometer. i'm not sure how it affects the truck but according to a conversion chart on on ricksontruck.com it's 65 mph with the 265's, and you go to almost 70 with the 285's. and a 3.5 rearend ratio. so for a 7 hour drive you would travel about 35 miles more than you would with the 265's. almost the same increase with the 245's that were standard on the 97. i ran 265's the truck got a steady 22mpg at hi highway speeds, like 75 ish. with the 97 did the trip to my house in nc 705 miles one tank. i carry a spare 6 gallon can,but i made it at least 10 times with out a stop.

#5 ·
:Thumbup: It`s your choice but I don`t want to recalibrate my speedo at all because I`l get a few thounsand more miles at the end on my warranty. I confirmed with a gps and yes when I do 65mph I`m doing close to 70mph in reality! Went to the dealer a few times and they did`nt say anything about my tire size so....The ride is also smoother and I get a better mileage(empty)at highway speed. Don`t know when towing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.