The Diesel Garage banner

Head install questions

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bad_cummins 
#1 ·
I pulled a head off for a guy I know about 4 days ago...this weekend I'm planning on going back together with it. The book I have tells me that head torque specs are 93 lbs with a torque sequence that ends up at 93...is this the specs? Also what are the valve lash specs? Also he wants me to remove and reseal the power steering pump...is there any special tooling to remove the pump, such as a gear puller or similar equipment?

#3 ·
I believe they are .010 Intake and .020 Exhaust. Do your head bolts have anything on the heads like +90? If so after your last torque sequence you have to tighten the bolt another 90* because these bolts are stretch to yield. There isn't any special tool to remove the power steering pump. If you have to replace the pump I believe there is a drive coupler that needs pressed off the old pump and pressed on the new pump on the first gens.

#4 ·
Oh, on another note like mentioned you can use the stretch gauge, if they are within specs they will be fine for a stock unit. I have seen these bolts take a lot especially if this thing is just a driver/ light hauler.

#5 ·
Well i appreciate the info guys. This however isnt my truck I'm just doing a head gasket on it. The head was sent off and checked it was slightly warped and is being machined and rebuilt. I heve not yet checked the block but will before i do the head gasket. On another note I already told the guy that we WILL be going back together with new head bolts, or I wasn't going to do it. I work for CAT so I've done this stuff before but I don't have any experience with Cummins execpt for my own truck...but I've never gone into the guts of it. Anyway keep it coming, past experiences mistakes you've made...I want all the info I can get.

Thanks agian guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.