The Diesel Garage banner

Wheel Bearing Assy.

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Got Diesel?i do 
#1 ·
Had to change axle joints this weekend. WTF? Is there a easy way to get the wheel bearing assy off. Like a puller or something? I used a BFH and an air hammer, but that screwed up the threads on the four bolts a little and I had to tap them. Just wanted to see if someout there had a better way. I never siezed the hell out of everything so maybe next time won't be so bad.

#2 ·
I used a BIG 3 jaw puller and then whacked it with a BFH. They were stuck on very tight. I don't know a better way than that. Hopefully with replacing the joints with greasable ones they won't need replaced for a long time.
yulan

#3 ·
loosen the 4 bolts the thread a couple in part way and put ansocket and extention on them and turn the wheel left or right and jam the extention into the axle and it should push them out......do each side a bit at a time and be sure to anti sieze the hub when replacing

#4 ·
DeTree... I heard of that method before just never hand to do it yet... Something to put in the brainbox...:Thumbup:

#5 ·
it works like a charm......sometimes you even need to start the truck....just make sure you thread them in about half way and go slow.....one side then the other

#6 ·
I will agree with DeTree i have used this method and it works like a charm. I just wish I knew of it for the first U joint I had to replace. It works better if you have 2 people to do it. I used a 3 jaw puller like stillcrazyinlaw suggested and all it did was pull it apart in pieces so I would not suggest that way.

#7 ·
use a three prong puller, watch your lines and put the arms on each corner and tighten down slowly otherwise it will pop off.... then when reinstalling it a lil zep or wd and a soft hammer does the trick bud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.