Trucking companies - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by antiquepuller, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 2372 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Trucking companies

I am looking to fly someone else flag for awhile and want to know who is out there and if anyone has any experiance with them. I have looked at Landstar and simply am not interested in them, didn't like they way they opporate. Have looked at Daily as well not really interested in only being able to haul what they offer. Looked at Admiral Merchants and haven't discounted them, but I am from a small company and liked it. They would also have to be willing to lease on a 1999 freightliner. Have pulled alot of different trailers in the past and have settled on a rgn, like it the most and the moneys better. As of right now I don't currently own my own trailer, but am not put off at the idea of buying one. Like I say, just asking to see what all else is out there. I'm not looking to start a pissing match about who is the best company there is, just want some insight. Thanks in advance to any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
By the way, home base is eastern KS. Thats where momma and the babies are.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquepuller View Post
I am looking to fly someone else flag for awhile and want to know who is out there and if anyone has any experiance with them. I have looked at Landstar and simply am not interested in them, didn't like they way they opporate. Have looked at Daily as well not really interested in only being able to haul what they offer. Looked at Admiral Merchants and haven't discounted them, but I am from a small company and liked it. They would also have to be willing to lease on a 1999 freightliner. Have pulled alot of different trailers in the past and have settled on a rgn, like it the most and the moneys better. As of right now I don't currently own my own trailer, but am not put off at the idea of buying one. Like I say, just asking to see what all else is out there. I'm not looking to start a pissing match about who is the best company there is, just want some insight. Thanks in advance to any help.
The best thing do to is adopt my motto: Say no to Brokered Freight!!!!

I stopped hauling for brokers around 1999. We haul direct for companies going out and back home. Brokers take the profit right out of trucking. There are brokers that haul for the same company we do. They call us on occasion, offering us the same loads we do for $300-$400 less. JUST TO MAKE A PHONE CALL! That is simply legal rape.

I know leasing on is easy, but in the long run, you are making them money, not you.

Get your own authority, and trailer. Get out, beat the bushes and find direct freight. You can do it...may take a few months. AND, don't go through a process agent to get the authority...you can do it just like they do, just a lot cheaper. $300 bucks and about 4-6 weeks.

I hope I didn't offend anyone....i just hate brokers. It's all in the name...BROKE.

2005 250 Super Duty Crew. White and Grey. ARP studs, EGR Delete, and SCT from Vivian. CCV re-route, and 4" Magnaflow turbo back.

Other trucks:1980 KW Ext hood, 1982 Kenworth Cabover Aerodyne (BJ and the Bear) 2000 and 2003 Kenworth W900's. 2003 Pete EXHD. All Caterpillar Power. My 2003 has an MBN I converted to 6NZ. Early 550 file, 211-3025 squirts. 800 cam. Acert twins via custom mount. ARP head bolts.

Transporter and Operator of a Bauer Built Championship Unlimited Tractor Pulling Sled for the United Pullers of the Carolinas, Region IV affiliate of the National Tractor Pullers Association (NTPA), and damn proud of it!!!!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I do have a couple of customers that I do business with, but with a rgn that takes time. I feel the same way you do about brokers, but at the moment I gotta keep the little ones fed and the lights on. I want to be totally on my own very badly, but at the moment it's not a risk I can take. I need a little security for the time being, know what I mean? Currently, I am a do it all, i.e., driver, dispatcher, beating down doors, even the cook.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:09 PM
OTT

how many tons is your trailer and how many axles do you have?

2011 389 c-16 stage 2 tune stage 2 injectors stage 3 cam stage 3 turbo Coming soon Twin turbos!
07 379x 625 mxs, stage1 pdi tune,pdi manifold
07 chevy 2500, efi tuned by the master Idaho Rob, 5" exhaust,Tranny built by myself with stage 4 suncoast parts tc1056
PDI dealer in Nebraska
"If I wanted a 7cz tune file I would buy a 7cz"!
The Name Is Dusty AKA Mr.Young Dealer
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
The trailer I'm currently pulling is a XL70 with a flip, just 6 axles on the ground. If I bought one I'd probably by one similar, or a fontaine.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 06:03 AM

Garage
A trucker acquaintance named Tom drives his own old and paid for tractor . He once told me that he considers himself a "Leased Owner/Operator" meaning that he leases his truck and time to his broker who is a trucking company owner. We'll call him "Mr. Big" in this little vignette. Tom operates under the Mr. Big's "Operating Authority". This costs Tom 7% of the gross (base rate only**) pay. For that 7% here's what Tom gets: Company secretaries take care of proofing & correcting all of his logbook sheets, IFTA paperwork, fuel-tax paperwork, and filing/paper retention for the US DOT. Tom claims the other big plus is he gets paid every week for his work even if the broker doesn't get paid by the shipper. Tom asserts an additional benefit to himself in not having to 'mess around with billing'. Tom feels these 'benefits' are worth paying the 7%of the base rate. Tom also observes that since all the loads come through Mr. Big he doesn't have to go searching for work. But he can if he wishes to and haul the loads he himself generates if he agrees to pay Big 7% of their base rate. Tom cites another big plus in being a leased owner operator is that it enables him to buy in to and run under the company's cargo liability insurance. This saves Tom about $3000 a year he says. People like Tom typically pay per mile to the broker or per week. Tom pays per mile... 5.4 cents for 2 million dollars worth of cargo liability insurance. He still needs to maintain his own bobtail and deadhead insurance. This costs Tom about $85 a month.

** Base rate equals: gross pay minus the weekly Fuel Surcharge x loaded miles driven. Fuel Surcharge is a negotiated amount per loaded mile based on a weekly figure issued by the US Government. Tom's broker (Mr. Big) does not take a cut of the Fuel Surcharge - Tom gets all of that.

FSC is generally negotiated between shipper and trucker. The FSC changes weekly based on the National Diesel Fuel Average Price and is a per mile number (usually). When I was talking to Tom it was .29 cents per mile. Does anyone know what it is today? It is built into Tom and Mr. Big's larger shipper accounts. For loads that Mr. Big priced out w/o FSC as a separate entity, he built the FSC into the rate. For example... A certain load pays $575. 68% of that is considered the "base rate" off of which Big draws his commission. 33% of it is FSC and that goes 100% to Tom. FSC is a tricky business. Mr. Big cold manipulate FSC if he were dishonest.

Another treacherous area in Tom's scenario involves whether Mr. Big uses a 'first in first out' dispatch rule whereby all the leased and company drivers get their loads randomly assigned. If the best loads go to tenured drivers or Big's friends, Tom might be getting all the mediocre freight.

I tend to agree with SledMan that you best do all your own paperwork. Hey. there shouldn't be any paperwork it should all be done on a laptop computer and during the long hours of waiting truckers are always complaining about. If you can do your own paper work...do it. Same thing with maintenance on the tractor...do it yourself unless you don't know how. In which case go to Diesel Garage and "axe somebody" . Then go do it.

If anyone sees glaring misconceptions in my analysis or pitfalls I'm missing and has the time to write a few sentences, dispense a little wisdom... please feel free to do so.

Roger

Last edited by Rogerstar1; 03-09-2011 at 06:07 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 AM

Our FSC is currently .51 a mile. I am leased to Midwest Specialized hauling RGN freight and windmill blades. I make good money, and the upsides outweigh the downsides for ME. Will they for anyone else? I do not know.
I was leased onto Schneider Specialized, when it existed, and made good money with them too.
It suited me better being from another country and lacking the "good old boy" contacts. Back home I did run all on my own, going over to Eastern Europe on a weekly/bi weekly basis. I knew a lot more people there though compared to here, and that makes a big difference IMO.
Do I take a hit rate wise once in a while? Yep, sure do.
Do they make up for it though? Yes they do.

Not sayin I get rich by any means, but it allows me to make a living and not worry about getting shafted by an outside company etc (been there and done that for the tune of $40k back home...)
Just my .02....

Martin
The Following User Says Thank You to leftlanetruckin For this addition to TDG:
Rogerstar1 (03-10-2011)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
The actual paper work, fuel tax filing, etc. isn't that big of a deal. So, to answer your question I think I need to give you a little background info as to why it's not really an option for me at this time. To start off with, I have been a flatworker for most of my adult life. I have however been around trucking in one form or another all of my life. I owned a truck and hauled my own hay products on farm tags for several years. However, I am just a little over two years into being a full time commercial o/o, and less than 1 year into a rgn. I'm 28yrs old and not have had to much time to get much saved up, and in my current situation is dwindling fast, hence my need for movement. Also, I have 4 kids, from 7yrs to 9mos old. So to recap money is real tight, and time is not on my side at this present time in my life, moreso is the need for a move to someone that has some actual freight not me just running the boards like my current situation. I do have some of my own customers that I will not relinquish, but they are not real steady. I pretty much know what it's gonna cost and how much time it will take and it's just not something thats feasible, YET.
The Following User Says Thank You to antiquepuller For this addition to TDG:
Rogerstar1 (03-10-2011)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 03:16 PM

Garage
What is RGN Freight and what is a good rate per mile to be pulling it for? What range does it fall into usually? Does the driver have to load it and unload it an tarp it?

Roger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode