The Diesel Garage banner

Freightliner trouble codes

137K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  almost lost 
#1 ·
Can anyone decode a Freightliner M2 106 w/MBE 900 trouble codes SID 025 & FAIL 07 ??

#2 ·
You have only posted 2/3 of the code.

We also need to know the message identifier (MID)

for instance if this is MID 128 (engine) the code would be "external engine protection device not responding"

If the MID is 164 ( bulkhead electrical system module) the code would be " End of Frame Air Unexpected Pressure Feedback"

The code is in the format of MID / SID / FMI

#4 ·
I think it's safe to say that the code you posted is not related to your no start.

Have you just changed the fuel filters?

These engines can be difficult to work the air out of the fuel system, particularly the engines with EGR.

Do not use aftermarket fuel filters on these engines, they do not seal properly in the filter bowl.

#5 ·
Yeah I did change the filter. The ABS light is a steady burn while cranking but once it fires it flashes for about 30 sec before going off. The truck has been getting harder and harder to start & now it will only fire with some juice... Could it be an injector bleeding down ? I appreciate you taking the time to try to help me. At one point I had it scanned for the codes since the check engine light is on & he said that I had a glow plug relay going bad. I had called Freightliner & they advised they were not showing one.

Thanks again,
Pete

#6 ·
That engine doesn't have glow plugs.
It **might** have an intake heater. It would be on the air intake pipe going in to the engine and have a couple of 2 gauge or so cables gojng to it.
either way that shouldn't make a difference to starting at this time of year.

If the ABS light is coming on, and the engine light is on, there should be other codes available through the dash. can you try pushing the button on the cluster to cycle through the codes, and post what they are?

If there are no further codes, I would make sure the fuel filter is a detroit diesel/ mercedes part.

I would also check under the cab to see if there is an inline fuel filter in the plastic fuel line, and change it or eliminate it. Freightliner used to bury them under there on the business class trucks.

I would make sure both fuel filters on the engine have been changed, the strainer and the filter.

after that, I would remove the fuel supply and return lines where they enter the fuel filter housing. the fittings attached directly to the bowl are check valve/quick release couplings. remove the fuel lines by unscrewing the female fitting just below the bowl (SHOULD BE ELBOW TYPE FITTINGS) and look for debris in the quick release fittings. This is assuming this is a pre -07 engine

After that, I would make a line to go from the return line on the engine to a pail, and run the engine and look for air bubbles in the return fuel.

It's probably not an injector, but fuel loss from one of the high pressure pipes can make them hard to start. look for fuel leaks on the driver's side of the engine.

It could also be a long shot I've seen a few times : batteries/ cables /wiring going to the ecm were in such bad shape that there wasn't enough juice getting to the ecm until the starter stopped cranking or ether was used to lighten the load on the starter.

#17 ·
Bypassing the exhaust side or coolant side?
If the exhaust side, I have done it as well as a few others on the MBE4000. No downsides at all, and will ensure that the O ring in the cooler never fails again, if it has failed up to yet, dumping coolant into the cylinders.
On the 4000's, you remove the small tube that bolts to the exhaust manifold and the EGR cooler solenoid. I welded a circular plate in there and reinstalled it to make it look OEM. I then plasma cut a plate to go between the intake tube and the EGR cooler. I bolts onto the intake manifold next to the heater on mine. I also removed the diffuser that resides in there, as it was so full of soot it wasnt funny. You couldn't tell it was bypassed by looking at it, and my local Detroit guy says that he doesnt even bother looking into the exhaust tube anymore:roflol:
The same principals will apply, assuming too that the EGR temperature sensor has been deleted on yours as it has been on the 4000's due to the probe breaking off and entering the intake manifold!

Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.