The Diesel Garage banner

cabmate anyone use??

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  nitrogen 
#1 ·
Anyone add an aftermarket aircab setup on a spring/walkingbeam susp truck?did it help?what was the improvement?air seat,aircab,spring ride for a dump.livable setup?just dont want air again.especially here its all clay n rains off n on all the time.just dont see air getting the traction.had it on 2 trucks hated both.just wanna know if adding air cabll smooth it out some????

#3 ·
I used to drive a Ford 9000 with Walking beam and Cabmate. It rode a little better than the Fords we had without the Cabmate. It took the shock out of some bumps but the bigger ones it didn't make that big a difference. Over all I would buy it and put it on there if I was using the truck everyday.

#6 ·
To be honest,i sunk n lost alot of money on My last truck n sold at a big loss.was very ignorant on specing a truck.im kind of afraid of makin same mistakes.wanna do it right.i dont got $$$$ to get the wrong thing then spend more n more tryn ta get it right ya know

#7 ·
The cab mate air ride is not new technology, they have been around for quite a while, most of the info in that old thread will be more relevant, most trucks now come with factory cab air ride and people are less experienced with aftermarket systems.

#8 ·
I drove a few KW's and a Pete with the cabmate setup. Like mentioned, it will take a little shock out of the small bumps but does nothing on the big ones. I find the setup just doesn't have enough up and down stroke to work properly or too stiff perhaps.

Sent from floating in da pirogue

#9 ·
we use air ride suspensions off road and in the mud. no issue with traction. full locking diffs and get going. since our majority of miles are highway we run pretty smooth tires. in our world if it gets ugly enough we chain up and if that still doesn't do it we get a tow cat. at that the triaxle trailer is maxed and the drives are a little light. so we do get stuck now and again, but nothing that I would blame on the air-ride. very few bag failures in years and miles of beating heck out them.(way less than broken leafs) that said the one air ride I hate is the KW 8 bag setup, rougher than some rubber block setups I have driven, and too many links and bushing to get loose and sloppy.

#10 ·
We installed quite a few Cab mates a long tine ago. The only problem we had was you have to position the hood so it will not bottom out on the gap and the hood wear on the rubbing blocks. Some units they added more blocks. Some were just left and wore the edge quite a bit.
The cab over units can be a ***** to align properly, when the cab comes down if the front mounts are worn or the truck is parked on an angle.
The ride was comparable to any other air ride cab, remembering that the front cab mounts were for a standard cab. The mounts need to be inspected and replaced if worn.
Just a thought!

#12 ·
Air ride suspension, it reduces a lot of the harshness from the back of the truck, but the front axle is still springs, on 99% of trucks the air ride cab reduces the harshness of the ride. I know truckers that when they bought a new truck with an air ride cab and suspension, with a new air ride seat, they would come in after a month and say they never felt so good.
These guys drove the highway and the only buffering they had was a worn out Bostrom seat.

#14 ·
Simple reason, those old timers were real men. We have gotten quite soft. They used to use their spare at least once going cross country. They put it on themselves with hand tools. We think its a hardship if we have more than 1-2 flats a year or if we have to wait for the mobile repair service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.