Fuel in radiator with a 6NZ - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by franko2me, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1062 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Fuel in radiator with a 6NZ

I'm getting fuel in the radiator tank with a 6NZ in it. I read somewhere that it can be from the injectors. But I can't remember, is it the cup seals or the injectors seals? Is that the only way that diesel can get into the antifreeze?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 05:22 PM

I think a cracked cup can do that as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jasong For this addition to TDG:
franko2me (07-02-2016)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 01:44 AM

Injector Cups

I know it's not an old Cummins but they would do that with a cracked injector sleeve. Cummings had the tooling to test and replace the sleeve without pulling the head. They could have it in and out for less money than I could put a recon head on, that only covered two cylinders, myself. You might call Cat and ask. Some of the best money you ever spend could be at a good Cat house.
The Following User Says Thank You to tenwheeler For this addition to TDG:
franko2me (07-02-2016)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:59 AM

Garage
Pull all 6 injectors, drain antifreeze, borrow the cup puller tool from a cat guy and pull all the cups, almost guarentee one or more is leaking around hardened up orings and or one is cracked. Id replace them all for all they cost, like $10-14ea. Get new injector holdown bolts and orings to. Use siliglide on cup orings and clean motor oil on injector orings. Flush your coolant system with a good heavyduty coolant system flush and be prepared to blow some radiator hoses and heater hoses if its had fuel in the coolant system long or save yourself the headache and possible motor job from overheating from blowing hoses and change all the radiator hoses now. Up to you. Good luck.

Larry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat Attack For this addition to TDG:
franko2me (07-02-2016), Jasong (07-05-2016)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Saving members money

Garage
You, most certainly have at least one bad injector sleeve. Be sure to note, when you pull the injectors, as to whether there is carbon built up on the outside of the injector. When the injector seats go bad, this allows hot combustion gasses to flow up between the injector and the sleeve. This causes the injector sleeve seals to fail prematurely. I have even seen injector sleeves break off in the head, due to deterioration of the metal, from all of the heat. (Note:I have a tool to remove the broken piece, without pulling the head, if that should happen.) Injector seats can be repaired, while the head is still installed on the engine. Cat will tell you, that you need to replace the head if the injector seats are bad. Not so!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode