Need help with starting a DT466E on an engine stand. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DonSkokie, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 814 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Need help with starting a DT466E on an engine stand.

I recently bought a 1998 DT466E out of a Norco truck that blew up. Back of the truck burned up, but the engine is in good condition. I just finished building an engine stand for it as I haven't yet started to mock up how to install it into one of my 1970 Loadstar cab overs. I would like to attempt to start it and run it while it is on the engine stand, but I don't know what needs to be hooked up or how it needs to be hooked up in order to get it running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a small gas tank I can attach the inlet and return to for fuel, but I do not know what to hook up in order to get it to turn over and start.

Thanks,
Mick

Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:04 AM

You need a wire diagram of the truck it came from and start to hook up to the ecm as it was.You need the batter power and ignwires for sure and youwillhave to have diagram any way because the truck you are using it in will have top have same sensors as the one it came from.It not a easy install as for as wiring.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I do not know what truck it came out of, but have been looking for a local large truck wrecking yard to scavenge parts from.
In the mean time here is where I got the idea from to start it on the stand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_jY2uKy0TQ
Looks like they are just running it off a tank of fuel, oil lines and a few ignition and accelerator wires.

Mick

Mick
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 02:14 AM

Here is a few things you will need to install in a nother truck.You need the foot petal which is a TPS and also its harness to the ecm and a speedo sensor which is VSS and its harness and a power suppy harness to the ECM also The coolant level sensor and the harness to the dash for the switchs like cruz also a check engine light mounted plus a data link so you can connect a reader to for diagnostics.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I think I need to see if there is a medium duty trucking yard local where I can just pull everything I need from one.

Mick

Mick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode