I Need Help ASAP! DT466E - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by OffuttTransport, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 2432 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I Need Help ASAP! DT466E

Alright guys, here's what I got:

1999 International 4700 w/dt466e
5speed Spicer
343,xxx miles
Prior Ryder Box Truck
195hp

The truck has a new Adrenaline HPOP from DieselSite for the 195hp motor. We went that route because of the warranty. The old pump destroyed itself internally. So it was replaced. IPR, ICP, HPOP are all withing 6 months old. When I changed the HPOP last month, I shot some ether through the IPR and dried well to clean it out. Well the truck was running fine for a bit. Took me from Virginia all the way to Laredo, TX. Code 333 pops up intermently with the CEL Light, but DieselSite said that can be from the higher volume from the new hpop. Well, as of today it gets in a hard pull and starts missing like crazy. Like, limp into a truck stop bad. Shut it down, let it sit for a while and it fires up with no lights and runs strong as an ox! Truck is due for an oil change now and the oil is nasty. Is there a possibility that the oil/filter are so grimed up that the hpop can't pull/push enough oil? Usually some white smoke associated with the missing and spitting. And it gets really bad... like the truck will die sometimes. At one point I was doing 7mph in 1st on the shoulder to get it to the off-ramp at this truck stop. I went inside and ate, came out and POOF.... runs great with no lights. Can't find any bare wires, bad fuses, and I put a brand new ICP in it a few hours ago. There is not always a CEL associated with this issue. Could this be a cam sensor? Somebody help me before I drive this thing off a cliff. I have to pick up a load with it tomorrow!

StayHumbleHustleHard

1999 International 4700 Dt466e
Spicer 5 Speed W/Sleeper & Fifth Wheel

Aka $MoneyMaker$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Exclamation Just an Add

Tbis truck also has a brand new injector harness as of last month, and all injectors looked held town snug and correct when harness was changed. This was done at the same time as the hpop. Also put a fuel filter on it then as well. I will say this, when I open the dran valve on the filter housing it just lets out a trickle stream. I have the upside down filter housing since it was a Ryder fleet truck. Seems like I recall when I bought it, you'd crack that thing and duck for cover. Almost like a fire hose. Idk if this information is relevant, but I am trying to be as descriptive as possible as not to waste anyone's time. Any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

StayHumbleHustleHard

Aka $MoneyMaker$
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 04:14 AM

somewhere on here I posted a HUEI troubleshooting write up, you should be able to find it if you search my threads, if not it is also in the Navastar engine section of the heavy truck forum My take on DT466E HUEI poor / no start troubleshooting Easier to find. Lift pump pressure is fairly critical to these engines as well as everything else, I can't remember the specs off the top of my head.

Canadian Club member 27
'88 379 exhd 3406C 15 40s 10 pete unimounts
'93 K3500 6.5 4L80 4" exh
'62 gmc shortbox 454 super t10 big brakes
JD 820 black dash
12V92 waitin' for a truck (mega ratrod)
pettibone s20 3306 pc
The Following User Says Thank You to 379Longhood For this addition to TDG:
OffuttTransport (12-23-2016)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:57 PM

Do you just have the 333 code or are there any others stored?. Are you using a scan tool to retrieve the codes or flashing them out? The Ryder trucks used the davco fuel water separator with the upside down filter,i believe it was a fleetgaurd ff5052 and the engine mounted filter was a donaldson, I cannot recall the donaldson number ,but i will try to dig it up. Ryder also had problems with mechanics installing the wrong filter on the separator and causing fuel restrictions under load . i would read thru longhoods post( good information) i would also check for suction leaks ,check the davco,the hand primer and fuel lines under the cab.
The Following User Says Thank You to burkeftm For this addition to TDG:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Ok, so here's where I am now. I kept getting the 333 code. So we pulled injectors, shimmed, and re-ringed. Now it will only start with a snort of either to keep it running a few seconds then it picks up. It has a steady very hard miss. I have a cheap scanner and am currently showing zero codes at all. Deadheaded my hpop produces 3,200psi at cranking. Now that it is re-ringed we have no icp codes. It has no codes at all which is stumping me. Like I said, hpop, ipr, icp are all very new and producing no codes. Is there a chance that this is an injector issue? It has a new lift pump and fuel filter as well. It has run long enough to bleed air out of both fuel and high pressure oil. Nobody around me has the ability to test heui injectors without mailing them off. Of course I could do that on my own through the mail. I'm thinking I have a dead injector. My theory is to shoot an infared thermometer at each exhaust port to identify the bad injector/cold cylinder and replace. Any thoughts, tips, tricks, or advice? I'm currently loaded for Florida and stranded at my house. Any help is greatly appreciated!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Oh, and just to add.... it is missing so hard that it is struggling to hit 25mph pulling my 16k pound trailer. No major smoke that I can see. Although, it does produce white smoke while cranking when it won't fire over. That's when it has to be ether'd. If I shut it down warm, and then go to restart withing 5 mins or so it will, however not as easily as it should.

StayHumbleHustleHard

Aka $MoneyMaker$
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Ok, another update on truck. Used infared thermo and shot all 6 cylinders at the exh. manifold. All but the front (#1?) Are maintaining temps of no less than 200 F or so... most of the time they are all closed to 225-240 F range. The front cylinder never gets above 160 F... is this an indication of a bad/weak injector? I'm no diesel tech, but with no codes being thrown and such a huge temp difference, I can only assume #1 is bad? Thank you guys very much for any/all help!

StayHumbleHustleHard

Aka $MoneyMaker$
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 01:39 AM

While it does sound like an issue with injector #1,I'm still thinking it's sucking air.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jasong For this addition to TDG:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong View Post
While it does sound like an issue with injector #1,I'm still thinking it's sucking air.
Turns out that I rechecked cylinder temps at the exhaust manifold while on the phone with my contact at the dealer. He said it sounded like 2-3 injectors were dead/dying. Could make sense as the truck has veen very lathargic and problematic lately. I ordered 6 brand new injectors, a harness, and new ipr today. That way we can pretty much eliminate all things high pressure oil wise. I got a great deal on injectors at $306/Injector. That is for brand new, not reman, Alliant injectors... Hoping this will fix all the crazy issues it's been having for a while. Need to be moving down the road to make money...

StayHumbleHustleHard

Aka $MoneyMaker$
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:17 PM

Also check /replace the fuel pressure regulator on the back of the cyl head,and check for suction leaks as these are common problems on these trucks. Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode