Turbo advice 6nz c15 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Chevycummin, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 3095 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Road train

Garage
Turbo advice 6nz c15

Hey all
Well unfortunately a few days ago I blew the 3rd pdi big boss stage one 720001 on my 2002 western star with a cat 6nz engine.
Truck had this turbo on it when we bought it. It has always had loads of power we roll 140k pnds most all day everyday. Its got low sped rear ends at 65 mph I'm at 1600 rpm in top gear. 18 speed. In the hills I'll outpull the 600 Cummins' with the same load on.

The first turbo the impeller nut fell off and we replaced it with another pdi 720001 well it lasted just over 100 000 miles and the impeller lost a fin. I was on the side of the road and replaced it there...

So fast forward now 3 months after the 2nd turbo blew we were doing a valve set up and Jake set up and I noticed the new turbo we put on was all mangled up on the front of the compressor wheel fins. From what the turbo shop tells me I must have had a chunk of aluminum from the 2nd turbo blown up into the air breathers and it ate it again. Wasn't too happy about it but it was my own mistake..

Turbo shop convinced me to install a 171702
Borg warner aka a s400s supposedly good from 5-700 hp. This time we put in new air filters and new intercooler. Cleaned all the ducting. Got it all back together now. Havnt pulled a load with it yet.
I'm curious to see if this size b.w was a good descion. I almost bought the s475 instead. We are not sure if the truck has a tune in it or not. The previous owner had said it had an "updated" ecm im not sure if that ment a tune or not and of course we can't find his contact info.

Anyways the s400 is a 75mm x 100mm compressor and a 96mm x 87mm with a 1.32 A/R
I've looked high and low and can not find the specs on the pdi big boss 720001 or what the stock cat turbo was for specs. Dealer says it had a OR7923 on it from stock?

My latest pdi turbo isn't in that bad of shape actually if I could find a wheel to fit it I would rebuild it? Hopefully some one has some clues !!?

Anyways guys thanks in advance!

Can be found in an oil burning machine 99% of the time !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Road train
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevycummin View Post
Hey all
Well unfortunately a few days ago I blew the 3rd pdi big boss stage one 720001 on my 2002 western star with a cat 6nz engine.
Truck had this turbo on it when we bought it. It has always had loads of power we roll 140k pnds most all day everyday. Its got low sped rear ends at 65 mph I'm at 1600 rpm in top gear. 18 speed. In the hills I'll outpull the 600 Cummins' with the same load on.

The first turbo the impeller nut fell off and we replaced it with another pdi 720001 well it lasted just over 100 000 miles and the impeller lost a fin. I was on the side of the road and replaced it there...

So fast forward now 3 months after the 2nd turbo blew we were doing a valve set up and Jake set up and I noticed the new turbo we put on was all mangled up on the front of the compressor wheel fins. From what the turbo shop tells me I must have had a chunk of aluminum from the 2nd turbo blown up into the air breathers and it ate it again. Wasn't too happy about it but it was my own mistake..

Turbo shop convinced me to install a 171702
Borg warner aka a s400s supposedly good from 5-700 hp. This time we put in new air filters and new intercooler. Cleaned all the ducting. Got it all back together now. Havnt pulled a load with it yet.
I'm curious to see if this size b.w was a good descion. I almost bought the s475 instead. We are not sure if the truck has a tune in it or not. The previous owner had said it had an "updated" ecm im not sure if that ment a tune or not and of course we can't find his contact info.

Anyways the s400 is a 75mm x 100mm compressor and a 96mm x 87mm with a 1.32 A/R
I've looked high and low and can not find the specs on the pdi big boss 720001 or what the stock cat turbo was for specs. Dealer says it had a OR7923 on it from stock?

My latest pdi turbo isn't in that bad of shape actually if I could find a wheel to fit it I would rebuild it? Hopefully some one has some clues !!?

Anyways guys thanks in advance!
First pic is the 2nd turbo.
Second pic is the 3rd turbo when new
Third pic is the 3rd turbo now
Both pdi.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:21 AM
Ol Dirt Contractor

Air cleaner, intake tubes, all rubbers, clamps etc. need to be completely disassembled as pieces fly back to the air cleaner element. Without doing that broken pieces just go back into the new turbo.. I learned that the hard way years ago..

I was Anti-Obama before it was cool!
Leno: ‘Remember the Old Days When Obama’s Biggest Embarrassment Was Joe Biden'

Ernie Hasse+ Bill Gaither America Medley
XCR 800cc Polaris Triple with Turbo, Nitrous & RMI
96 F250 7.3 Hypermax Stage III’s, H2 for now, Wide Open Performance long block. Spearco Intercooler 4” downpipe Suncoast Tranny, Terminator Oil
Newest--2015 Black VW Golf SportWagen TDI DSG Nav Roof 18" Avignon's Valentine One
Early 99 F250 SD 7.3 almost stock for now
87 Turbo Intercooled T-Bird stock
98 379 Pete 15.8L CAT 3406E 5DS Borg Warner 175963 Turbo P5 Nathan Horns Johnson Matthey 600 HP DPF 2017 CA registered emissions legal
More Milwaukee V28 Tools than Tim Allen has!
Remember, nozzle size matters at the pump
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Road train
Threadstarter

Garage
Yes most definitively. I took everything apart brake cleaned and wiped out every boot and tube vacuumed out the cleaners new filters the whole 9. Drove it today and everything seems good. Seems to have just as much power as the pdi. I'm fairly happy with it so far. Dropped and picked up a new trailer today bit we will see tomorrow when i load up 100k onto it and put her to work!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode