Need suggestions on frame repair - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 377pete, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 814 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Need suggestions on frame repair

Got a pete dump truck that i bought 14 yrs ago. My first truck and new to business then. Well my passenger side frame rail cracked 2 yrs ago. It cracked at the bottom flange and up the rail maybe an inch . Thats when i noticed it. Took it to a shop and they welded it and put a frame insert , runs like 18 inches to one side and about 20 to the other side of crack. Lasted 2 yrs and now it cracked the same place plus the frame insert too. Donít want to replace truck, its my baby and has everything else good. Thought about putting on both side 1/4 inch frame inserts(double frame section) with a trunnion cross member.

What do you guys think? Would it be a good idea to drill every 8 inches or so on bottom flange and bolt inner frame insert and frame together besides other bolts on side of frame? I have a jancy magnetic drill . Just want to fix it to last a while so i can save money to re frame truck in a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 03:45 AM

The trunion would help.
The insert seems a little short to me.
Can a longer one be fitted? Preferably doubled.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong View Post
The trunion would help.

The insert seems a little short to me.

Can a longer one be fitted? Preferably doubled.

It can be longer by 10 inches to each side but then will need to remove factory crossmembers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:09 PM

Garage
You can't or should never drill into the flange, top or bottom.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:17 PM
w9l

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heallen View Post
You can't or should never drill into the flange, top or bottom.
Agreed 100%. Carefully search for end of crack in stop drill it it Then add as long of a liner as possible to inside ad fish plate outside and then bolt it all together. Do not weld straight up or down on any of it (except maybe the crack) Personal preference for me tha alot of people will argue I am wrong but when I weld a crack up on steel I bevel it mostly from one side and make a root pass from that side and check the other side for proper penetration then weld it up good making sure the weld is a little bit convex. Then I grind it all flat as the rest and fill any deficiencies by grinding out a bit with die grinder and weld it hot or preheat it a little. a weld sticking up does not let your sleeve or plate sit flat and imo creates stress riser worse than just the weld itself. I have also used plug welds alot on repairs of stuff like this and had good luck. Spaced out within reason they still all the metal to flex some . When making long welds to attach a plate or sleeve weld length ways is ok but at a 30 -45 degree angle is better/ just mainly never 90*. I try not to let my wlds ever com to a point where top weld and bottom weld meet I just leave that area of patch unwelded. I sure wouldn't take out any crossmemebers and I would be prone to want to put a sleeve in opposite side as well or something is going to be your weak spot all the time and cause further issues I am afraid. I like your trunion idea but I would probably want it bolted in, If using regular hot roll steel I think I would step up to 3/8" or have the plate on outside and sleeve on inside total thickness exceed thickness of frame rail by a tad. I am not a pro. I just play one on the internet. PM me if I can clarify anything or help. I have been in similar positions with equipment so I feel your pain.

Just me

Last edited by w9l; 01-29-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: re read op
The Following User Says Thank You to w9l For this addition to TDG:
Jasong (01-30-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode