ABS - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by pblankenship, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 9908 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Farmer/Driver/Student

ABS

My ABS light came on in my Western Star, it claims to have a WABCO ABS system in it. I was just wondering if there are any simple problems that occur, or if I should just take it into the shop. The only reason that I ask is that I can't stand it when "idiot" lights come on. Heck, I was looking to see if there was an easy way to unplug the light and go down the road. I am pretty sure that I don't need the system during the summer, and from what I understand it only affects the one corner that has the problem anyway.

2001 Western Star 4964EX: It's got a CAT
2000 Kenworth W900L: It's got a CAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:40 PM
O'Skool Member

Garage
Check the literature section here --> http://www.meritorwabco.com/literature/default.asp

You would look here for tractors --> http://www.meritorwabco.com/literature/pneumaticabs.asp

Here for trailers --> http://www.meritorwabco.com/literature/trailerabs.asp

Look what model valve you have then download the correct Maintenance Manual. Your truck should have came with one from the dealer.

You might be able to make it do a blink code and find out where the fault is.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 PM

check the sensors,push them in all the way to the tone ring,thats all the adjustment they get.as for the system in general,when the light is on,the system reverts back to standard braking system,meanign it will still work.sometimes they have a switch that will give you a flash code to tell you the problem.check the fuse first.simple fix,if it is blown,then you have a problem,if not then check the sensors next.sometimes they come unplugged.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:55 AM
trucker trash

Hopefully it is just the tone ring but many times the ABS light can also mean you have a bearing problem. When the hub starts to heat up it will take out the sensor. I have never actually had an ABS light come on that wasn't caused by bearing problems. Does your STAR have sealed hubs?

To friggin lazy retype my sig again. Damn hackers.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Farmer/Driver/Student
Threadstarter

yup, sealed hubs. I know that the last time I had this problem (yes I have had this problem before and I have only had the truck for 8 months) that is was a loose connection, but last time I found it very quickly, this time it's not so apparent.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Fire App. Mech.

Very easy to diagnose and repair ABS systems.

First find the ABS brain box in the dash, behind the seat or on the frame somewhere and get the version/model number off of it. Also find the ABS diagnostics switch tucked away somewhere there. Also check to see how many sensors and modulators you have on the rear wheels.

Next go to WABCO's web site and download the manual for it. Get the blink codes and do what the manual says to determine what is causing the blink codes. Fix the problem and no more light.

Birken
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Farmer/Driver/Student
Threadstarter

Thanks Birken, I will do that, seems like a logical deduction given the newer trucks have so many computer components.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in