The Diesel Garage banner

Chips in rear diff.

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Mr.Tourettes 
#1 ·
Dad went to get his oil changed in his 08 yesterday and the shop showed him the magnet from the rear end. There were 1/8-1/4" chips all over it and he's at 37k miles. Our ford dealer said when it blows out they'll fix it for us(free) but, until then just keep them updated on how it does. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

His other problem up to now have been...
broken passenger door handle
ps pump and gear box died
tailgate cables broke at the mount to the bed
radiator leak
fan ran 400 of a 460 mile trip to NC pulling a camper ( one day old cause he blew the hpop in his 06 and we couldn't wait to get it fixed)
and a few other things that i can't remember.

#2 ·
I would take that thing to another dealer. Wait till it blows out??? Sounds like a dealer not wanting to do the work. If it is in fact chips, and not fillings, it's on it's way out and very soon, maybe another 5000 mile or less.

#3 ·
he's out of warranty, They don't need to do the work. They just said see how it goes and what happens, when it goes they will fix it.

#4 · (Edited)
he's out of warranty, They don't need to do the work. They just said see how it goes and what happens, when it goes they will fix it.[/qu

The powertrain is good for 60,000 miles or five years. Engine is 100,000 or five years. So he is covered.

Reactions: stacks
#5 ·
didn't know that.
Well thats still what they told him so we'll just ride it out and see.
The dealer we go through is 200miles away in AL, so it's not like we're gonna stop everything and go see them. I think he's gonna show them in a few weeks when we go to our farm cause it's close to the dealer.

#6 ·
My Ford dealer said the same thing when I took my 6 leaker in for a squeeling turbo. Blow it up and then we will know for sure what the problem is! I told him he better pray it did not blow when I was pulling my toyhauler. I made it another 3000 km,s then blew both head gaskets, EGR cooler, and cracked all the exhaust tubes. In some areas of Alberta right now, the waiting list to get your truck in for work is anywhere from 1-2 months.

#7 ·
My passenger door handle is broke too...and it's one of those things that isn't huge, but you look at it, and then the sticker price and just say..."dam"

#8 ·
fix that mutha before it STRANDS someone in the middle of no where !

all the bearings and seals SHOULD BE REPLACED w/ the gears...anything less and
youll have a failure again and be doing the work a 2nd time (possibly incurring
outta pocket cost)

#10 ·
ask 'em whos gonna pay the TOW bill...since they want 'em to drive it
til i BLOWS...hell whos gonna pay for the LOST MPG !

#11 ·
I just took my 6.4 in for an oil change and the found a chunk on my rear drain plug also. It looked like a piece of casting flash and not ring gear. I am going to let her buck and see what it says on the next change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.