Any here done Chevy Cummins Conversion? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Lonesome7.3, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 3984 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonesome7.3
Any here done Chevy Cummins Conversion?

We found a mid 90ís Chevy dually in great shape minus an engine. I know very little about the truck so please bear with me on my questions. I do not know if the truck was a gasser or oil burner and I am not real sure of the year. I think the tranny is out of it so I have no idea which one it had. I did not go over it real thoroughly it was just a brief encounter. The information I learn here will determine whether or not I go any further with this idea. From what I did see the truck is in great shape. The tires look close to new and the interior looks real good. The paint looks decent but the clear coat is flaking off. I already have a 5.9 Cummins I had planned on dropping in a F350 chassis I have. This Chevy however it in waaaaaay better shape and more complete. If the tranny is gone I am assuming the transfer case it as well. I want this truck for highway hauling with the occasional need for four wheel drive. What am I looking at cost wise for a well built GM overdrive automatic tranny and T-case with what ever adapters I require to bolt it to that Cummins? Also, what other kind of expenses am I looking at to get that Cummins in the frame rails? Does it matter if it was a gasser or not? I can build or fab engine mounts if that is a problem. Anyhoo, I know next to nothing about Chevys and even less about dropping a Cummins in one. Any information would be very helpful. I will be going out there again tomorrow to pick up some parts I bought so I need to learn a lot between now and then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM

sorry for the late response. did you get the Chevy?

For what it is worth,
I know there have been several Suburbans and K5's that have cummins in them, many are 4bts but there are a few 6bt's so I know it can be done. there is lots of information at 4btswaps about this.

Jakob

2004 5.9L/47rh Lariat FX4 Crew Cab Short bed. 213K miles 18" dbacks with nitto A/T grapplers, Zoodad mod, and 2000 turn signal mod. Limited Excursion bumpers front and back. Chrome grill, EGR delete, FICM delete, glow plug delete, HPOP delete, 2 cylinders delete, and 20 valves deleted

97 12v/47rh built by Garmon's

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

It looks like this deal will not work out. However, I know of a couple of others I may be interested in. This is not the first Chevy dually I have found in this condition. I am starting to think I would rather just find one and get it.

i am looking at a 4BT swap for my 73 D200.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 02:39 PM

you will find some more info on diesel bombers also and on the ford site fte under
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum136/

don't kid yourself the conversions will tax your mind severely and pocketbook if you start buying from these guys that sell adapter plates and engine mounts

the 2000 and newer motor mounts from the 6bt are lower than the earlier ones so you can get the engine down where it needs to be

if it were me I would do the nv4500 5 speed and then you could use the chevy transfer-case

chevy put this trans in some of their diesels
now there are adapters out there for the turbo 400 and one of the newer engines

the 4bt and 6bt use the same adapter plate you would find them in box vans

99 f350 crew srw 4x4 -- 98 12v nv4500 np 273 made into a manual shift
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the link. Even though this Chevy and others I have found like it is more complete than the Ford I have been gathering parts for I am wondering if I would no tbe better off just going forward with the Ford biuld. I like the NV4500, but my wife does not want a standard transmission. I have heard from so many people and forums the bread trucks ahve the 4BT and the 400 tans adaptor. However, I have never found one. I look all the time in hopes of drggin gone home with zero luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:19 PM

i did one in a 99 model 3500hd, which will be the same era as your looking at. My trk is 2wd, and has a higher cab mount system because it's an hd. If your wantin to go the 4wd route on the standard 3500 dually truck, i believe a small cab lift will be in order for the cummins to clear the chevy's 4wd system.. Personally i like the gm's, but as a person who has owned both at the same time,i would look for a ford myself if i was shopping anyway's.. It's a better trk overall.. This being said the 6.5 to 5.9 conversion on my trk was fairly simple, and i went from auto to a manual in the process.. There are adapter's that will enable you to mate a 4l80 gm auto to a cummins, and the auto is a fairly solid unit.. The 4bt turbo 400 adapters will work, and can be had for less $$, but will require you to have the engine cocked into place in the trk, i'am told..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks, that was helpful. I do have a Ford chassis I was originally going to use, but I have found a few of these Chevys in great shape minus anf engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode