Putting a Perkins into a 86 Blazer - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by acudanut, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 164 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Putting a Perkins into a 86 Blazer

Does anyone know what will I need ? The K-10 Blazer is a Military M-1009. I it has a turbo 400 automatic transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:43 PM

Garage
Interesting project, it will be really cool if you get it done.
You will probably need a custom bell housing, to keep the th400, I don’t think they were ever put behind a Perkins. Otherwise, to keep 4wd, transmission and t-case options will be limited by the Blazer’s short wheel base. Adapting the th400 to the Perkins OR adapting a t-case to mate directly to a transmission with an SAE bell housing will be your best options, and probably the hardest part of the project. I’m not aware of any “off the shelf” combinations for either route, and running a divorced case in a blazer would be tricky, especially if the engine swap requires any suspension lift for clearance, the rear drive shaft angle would be super steep. If you can give up 4wd, there are loads of transmission options that would probably bolt up to the Perkins with easily sourced parts. A manual transmission like a Spicer or Eaton would be the easiest in my opinion. After that, fabricating engine mounts, and depending which model Perkins, fitting it under the hood, will be your biggest hurdles.
I don’t know your skills or budget, but it will certainly require a fair amount of problem solving, fabrication, and most likely some custom machined parts.
Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:51 PM

Garage
An Allison 1000 is the only transmission I can think of that is available with an SAE bell housing, AND an mated T-case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode