4BT Talk - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by EB.Bldr, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 1080 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

4BT Talk

Anyone willing to enlighten me on 4bt's?

Considering another swap and need some info on what to look for.

What years/models am I looking for to find the inline pump?

Do these have a mechanical lp?

From what I know the Frito Lay trucks seem to have them. But some are 105hp some are xxxxx. I think I'm looking for the 120hp model, 4BTAA?.? And from what I've seen the advertised 120hp models have the after cooler. Without doing my regular amount of research I was just wondering what all people know about them right off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

First order is actually finding one with a P-pump. Vast majority will have a VE pump, which still isnt that bad. The VE can serve just fine up to, and surpassing 250hp. Just depends on what you're looking for power-wise. They are a mekanikal lift pump, similar to what they did with the Dodges. In a bread or frito van, they likely wont list the year of the engine, yet the van will be early 80s to 90s. These were a retro fit done to replace the GM 292, 350, Ford 300, 302, and 351W, but that's its own story.
The one I have is from an air compressor, rated at a whopping 86hp before I upped the fuel rate and timing. It has the Lucas CAV pump on it, and an H1C turbo with an 18cm ehaust housing. That's a big thing to watch out for, is getting the industrial applications. This one has the exhaust exit from the turbo facing the front, and motor mounts are a biscuit on the front by the crank, and on the bellhousing. You can swap over bellhousings from a C or B series. That way you can have an SAE #3 or #2 if you want. Then, you can also use the flywheels and flex plates from a 6BT, and use all Dodge stuff, or the Ford or GM stuff from the van.
I'm almost tempted to sell this 4BT, since my 300 is getting better mpg these days.
This is a little bit of what I've come across over the past.

Dale

my daily driver:67 F100, 300 4V, cammed, 4 spd.
or, 08 Subaloser Forester, 2" lift.
work rigs: 94 IH 4900, DT466(originally 230hp), #0 fuel plate, tighter gov springs, 22* timing
or, 06 IH 7400, DT466E, 300hp

My Low Buck fuel rate site:
www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp

Last edited by nevrenufhp; 11-06-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode