The Diesel Garage banner

holley blue pump

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Mopar1973Man 
#1 ·
how to get more fuel pressure and how to put 1/2 fuel line in the tank

#2 ·
You're only going to get the the pressure that the pump your using puts out. I don't think you can turn them up. Besides, you can't run high pressure with the VP-44. With an airdog 100, I'm getting 14-15 psi.
As for the draw straw, here is a Vulcan one. I haven't tried it, but it looks promising.

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Draw-Straw-II-1-2-in-draw-tube-and-1-2-in-pushlo-p/dsiv.htm

This has the draw straw and return all in one unit.

Hope this helps,
Travis

#5 ·
you can stretch the spring, just be careful when you do it. The spring mine came with was WAY to soft, and would only put out around 7 psi...I was testing with my in cab FP gauge as well as one hooked to the test port, so I knew I was accurate. I ended up using a spring from a click pen, and cutting a few prongs from it and stretching it a bit to get the proper fuel pressure. I currently have 17.5 at idle and about 12.5 at WOT.:thumbsup

#6 ·
Holley pumps are a cheap way of getting a pump... But like you see in the above post...

I currently have 17.5 at idle and about 12.5 at WOT.
When you you have pressure loss that means that you pump can't supply enough volume of fuel for the demand. So the whole trick is to find a pump that can satisify the demand... Something to think about...

Reactions: Jeffybuilt
#7 ·
When you you have pressure loss that means that you pump can't supply enough volume of fuel for the demand. So the whole trick is to find a pump that can satisify the demand... Something to think about...[/QUOTE]

Yea, I know exactly what you are saying...I guess in my situation, where $ was a factor, I simply wanted something more reliable than stock, but couldnt exactly spend $500 on a pump, ya know. My gauge for normal driving sits at 17.5 idle and runs at a steady 15 no matter what. Its only if I absolutly romp on it from a dead stop will it drop to 12.5 or so. Isn't it normal to see a bit of a pressure drop under heavy acceleration? I was under the impression that 17.5 - a steady 15 was a very healthy system...Thanks for the help!
:usflag

#9 ·
When you you have pressure loss that means that you pump can't supply enough volume of fuel for the demand. So the whole trick is to find a pump that can satisify the demand... Something to think about...

Yea, I know exactly what you are saying...I guess in my situation, where $ was a factor, I simply wanted something more reliable than stock, but couldnt exactly spend $500 on a pump, ya know. My gauge for normal driving sits at 17.5 idle and runs at a steady 15 no matter what. Its only if I absolutly romp on it from a dead stop will it drop to 12.5 or so. Isn't it normal to see a bit of a pressure drop under heavy acceleration? I was under the impression that 17.5 - a steady 15 was a very healthy system...Thanks for the help!
:usflag[/quote]

Basically is all about supply and demand... Like you see a 5 PSI drop in fuel pressure and I only see 1 PSI in the same conditions... Just that a AD or FASS can supply more volume constantly than a Holley...

Reactions: Jeffybuilt
#11 ·
That's what I learned too... Why mess around with trying to re-invent the wheel when it already been built! Just got to contact a good dealer and buy a full fuel system...

Yea... I'm one of those dummies that dumpped a bunch of money in people's pockets on junk pumps and trying to build my own system. After spending over $800 on pumps, fuel lines, etc. I got smart and bought a AirDog... At least I don't have to spend more money on it! :thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.