The Diesel Garage banner

oil changes

4K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Superdutytd 
#1 ·
ok, what the deal...Ford has a 10,000 mile oil change schedule, does anyone wait that long? and the fule filters 20,000? I have 12,000 on my turck and i chang my oil every 5k, and i will chang both fule filters at my next oil change 15,000, and i am sending an oil sample to see how the motor is doing. so what is everyone doing ?

#3 ·
Oil every 5k and filters every 15k

#4 ·
If you follow the Oil Change recomendations in the Owner's guide, you will be just fine.

The real problem is using synthetics and extending the drain intervals PAST those outlined by Ford for the use the vehicle gets (Normal vs Severe).

#6 ·
It'll live a LONG time with that :thumbsup

#7 · (Edited)
I would be very careful on going past the oil drain on just the cj4 oil it has half of the TBN needed for engine wear. How ever Amsoil has been doing some RD on the the TBN's and has added some back to be able to go longer I posted this info here.

New AMSOIL Premium API CJ-4 Synthetic 5W-40 & 15W-40 Diesel Oils

AMSOIL upgraded the technology on DEO, increased the TBN to 10.4 and created a compelling extended oil drain capability of up to three times (3X) original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM) recommendations. The extended drain interval on the reformulated DEO is now defined using both miles and hours for a wide variety of on‐road and off‐road applications. Upgraded AMSOIL Premium API CJ‐4 Synthetic 5W‐40 Diesel Oil also has a documented fuel efficiency benefit of up to 3% over conventional 15W‐40 diesel oils. With the upgraded technology, AMSOIL DEO can also be recommended for a longer list of worldwide specifications.

How did we do this?

Answer: AME is an outstanding product for wear protection and was the standard used to build the new Premium API CJ‐4 Synthetic 15W‐40 Diesel Oil (DME). AMSOIL Premium 15W‐40 Diesel Oil is formulated to resist breakdown from continuous operation and high loads. Built with heavy duty detergent/dispersant additives, this high TBN (10.4) formula is naturally resistant to the detrimental effects of high soot loading. It keeps soot particles suspended independently, preventing them from attaching together to form larger, wear causing particles. AMSOIL Premium 15W‐40 resists heat and breakdown better than conventional petroleum oils for long lasting performance and protection.

So how does this affect the new diesels.

Answer: You can go ‘3X OEM’ refers to the extended drain interval definition of AMSOIL 5W‐40/15W‐40 diesel oils. ‘3X OEM’ means AMSOIL diesel oils extend drain intervals up to three times (3X) the original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM) recommendation as stated in the owner’s manual or other supporting technical documents. For example, the OEM drain interval recommendation is 15,000 miles for a Volvo with an ISX engine under severe service, thus AMSOIL CJ‐4 Diesel Oils will extend the drain interval to 45,000 miles. Likewise, a Kubota M8200 Series Tractor has an OEM drain interval recommendation of 200 hours; AMSOIL CJ‐4 diesel oils extend this drain interval to 600 hours.

AMSOIL drain interval cap ‘Not to exceed 50,000 miles/600 hours or one year, whichever comes first’
This is to be understood using our Oil Filter as it filters better.
I have included the complete info attached.
Bill

Attachments

#8 ·
Wear (the oil's addative package and lubricity) are completely seperate issues from it's particulate load (soot, wear particles etc). Partice load is ONLY addressed with an oil CHANGE, even bypass filters are only partially effective on these fine particles.

Reactions: merlin5577
#9 ·
will amsoil warrenty this if my motor blows and ford will not cover it due to not following their guidlines?

#10 ·
Amsoil does have a Warranty for lubrication failures and you do have to follow there guide lines on oil drain intervals.
Go here for FAQ, Go here for our Warranty.
I have attached two pdf's.
Bill

Attachments

#11 ·
A by-pass system achieves a lot it reduces the harmful partials to a size that is not harmful to the engines. Here are some facts on by-pass filters.

Higher Efficiency
AMSOIL EaBP Filters have an efficiency of 98.7 percent at two microns. At normal operating RPMs the EaBP Filter will filter all of the oil in a typical five quart sump in less than 10 minutes.
Superior Construction
The superior construction of AMSOIL EaBP Filters provides better sealing and increased longevity along with superior corrosion resistance. AMSOIL EaBP Filters have a marine powder coated exterior; and their zinc-dichromate base plates increase rust protection. EaBP Filters have a nitrile HNBR gasket and an orange silicone anti-drain valve. The two stage pleated and layered cellulose/full synthetic media has an efficiency rating of 98.7 percent at two microns.
Longer Lasting
When used in conjunction with AMSOIL motor oil and an AMSOIL EaO or Donaldson Endurance™ filter, the EaBP should be changed every other full-flow filter change up to 60,000 miles. When used with other brands of motor oil or full-flow filters, the EaBP Filter should be changed every other full-flow filter change. AMSOIL recommends using oil analysis when extending oil drain intervals.
Increased Oil Capacity
The increased fluid system capacity and filtration life provides improved oil cooling and ensures that equipment constantly runs on clean oil. Engine efficiency is increased, providing extended engine life.
Soot Removal
AMSOIL has designed a new high-efficiency by-pass filter element that is also a soot removal device. AMSOIL Ea By-Pass Filters use a synthetic/cellulose sandwiched media. The inner layer of the element is composed of a highly efficient cellulose media covered with a full synthetic media outer layer. These filters remove 39 percent of soot contaminants less than one micron. Soot removal efficiency increases approximately 10 to 14 percent when the EaBP Filter is used in conjunction with a standard full-flow filter.

By-Pass Filtration Benefits

• Dramatically Extended Drain Intervals
  • Improved Oil Cooling
  • Increased Filtration Capacity and Life
  • Increased Fluid System Capacity
  • Efficient Small Particle and Soot Removal
  • Significantly Extended Engine Life
  • Equipment Constantly Runs on Clean Oil
  • Increased Engine Efficiency
  • Remove Particles Less Than One Micro

#12 ·
Why is it that EVERY oil change thread turns into an Amsoil ad? Do what the manual says and you cant go wrong. When it comes down to it, if you have a warranty issue, Amsoil won't be around to help you!

#13 ·
Thats what I have heard from alot of guys...thats why i think i will stay with the 5000 for oil and 15000 for fuel

#14 ·
I'm a believer in Synthetics and I do not mean to say that synthetics are not GOOD products, let's be 100% clear on that.

But, you simply cannot extend the drain intervals with the HEUI system just because you are using synthetic oil, you still NEED to get the contaninates out that harm the injectors (fines I call them). So now you need a second filter (bypass) to get these fines out and you still don't get them all. You spend more per oil change, lots more for an add-on bypass set-up and still need to change your oil at the factory interval.

While synthetics offer a power, mileage (from lower friction, which is proven by OEM tests) and LTO benefits; and clearly they do, in many cases the added expense cannot be justified for the "Average" driver.

#15 ·
But, you simply cannot extend the drain intervals with the HEUI system just because you are using synthetic oil, you still NEED to get the contaninates out that harm the injectors (fines I call them). So now you need a second filter (bypass) to get these fines out and you still don't get them all. You spend more per oil change, lots more for an add-on bypass set-up and still need to change your oil at the factory interval.
I don't really understand what you just said. The last time I was at the dealership, they told me I was due for an oil change. I declined, stating that I do my own oil changes. First words out of the service writer's mouth was "if you have any problems with your fuel injectors, then make sure you have proof that you're doing your own oil changes." This strikes me as odd, because my understanding is that the fuel and oil systems are two entirely different systems, one being high pressure and the other being low pressure (respectively). So does someone want to explain how the two can MIX?

#16 ·
once again bill crow manages to turn a simple thread in to a SELF-SERVING-SELF- PROMOTING-LINE-HIS-POCKET-ADVERTISMENT !

Share w/ us bill...where did someone ask you about your oil !?!?!

#17 ·
Hey Crow, would you mind giving everyone (especially dwoz2012) the courtesy of sticking to the topic of the thread FOR ONCE!?!?!?!

dwoz2012, in my experience whether you use synthetic or convential, you can always change the oil and fuel filter more often then recommended by the manufacturer, but going longer IMO is not a good idea.

Reactions: dwoz2012
#19 ·
I think you need to look at the thread "oil change" and read my comment. I posted a information thread and if it had to deal with Amsoil that is because I am a vendor on this site and sell Amsoil not something else.
You all need to realize this site is a service and I am just trying to be of service. If I said nothing or if others said nothing no one would know about the benefits of Amsoil. If you don't want to use Amsoil I am OK with that but don't tell me I have no right to say anything.

#20 ·
:mafia1: He asked what everyone was doing with there personal vehicles as far as intervals are concerned. NOTHING was mentioned in respect to engine oil type, brand, weight or anything else. Yet you felt obligated to throw a ton of information (written by Amsoil) onto the post about Amsoil and why he should use it, you even included innuendos as to he should buy it from you. :fan Your not doing a service to anything other then your own wallet and have yet to contribute any of any value to the thread. :wedgie

#21 ·
Bill is a Supporting Vendor of TDG and he, like everyone else, is free to "voice" his opinion especially when an opinion is asked for.

That doesn't mean that anyone needs to agree with it, only that he offers a service and can do so freely.

#22 ·
I am not the best typist so I cut and past to help me get my point across. I am working with only 8 fingers I lost two to a table saw.
I really don't like to argue at all and I don't like folks being mad at me I just want to help.
I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone that is not my intention at all.
I need to make a living like every one else, again I am sorry for that.

Bill

#23 ·
the RULES as *I* have been told, say that a VENDOR is NOT ALLOWED to advertise
in a forum or THREADS other than the VENDOR section.

#25 ·
For anyone who would like to know, this is the exact wording of the rule that I beleive Don is referring to;

*Keep posts on topic, derailing or hijacking is not allowed, if you cant add to the discussion, dont post. If you wonder whether or not people will care about what it is that you are about to post, chances are that they wont.
:mafia1:

#26 ·
im pretty sure hes been WARNED and INSTRUCTED to do EXACTLY that !

fwiw Teamroper60 showed oil testing results from and INDEPENDENT
LAB that showed he could extend his oil change intervals using conventional
oil and thats in a "prone" to sheer 6.0L

'course CROW said it was not possible (probably cause it wasnt using his
brand of oil).

Anyone thats looking to run ANY OIL beyond 5k better be sampling it, i
would not trust FORD OR an OIL MFG to pay for the new engine after a
failure (in warranty or out) !

Has anyone determined if the 6.4L sheers oil like the 6.0 & 7.3 ??

who has sampling results from their 6.4 ??

#27 ·
Ok...its time to either get this topic back on track...or close it down.

Lets try to get it back on topic and see how that goes.

#28 ·
i believe MY last post was on topic...

im interested in knowing if youll be deleting the UNRELATED & UNSOLISTED spam...i mean
adverts ??

#29 ·
I am sorry for all the drama on this thread...I am just trying to get as much information on the TOPIC of oil change intervals. If the thread gets closed i will understand...but i do think if we stay on topic we will all get a better idea about the 6.4.

#30 · (Edited)
I was just trying to say I would not go the 15k with the CJ4 oil, we do have a oil coming out that can and Using a by-pass could help so I offered info. I may have put to much info I agree I just want to give enough info to be of help not cause more questions.
If you would like more info just pm,e mail or call me.

#32 ·
Now back to the question that was asked in the first place.....

I do my oil changes every 7500 miles and my fuel filter get changed every other oil change. As long as you stay within the Ford specs you should be good but I just don't like going 10,000 miles with the same oil.

#33 ·
I would keep doing what you are doing in light of the fuel in the oil issues the 6.4 is having. I thought I read there is a recall on the 6.4 for injectors this is good that ford is addressing this problem.
Bill

#36 ·
5K miles. I'm a firm believer in changing your oil more often helps engine life. Diesels put a lot of crap into the oil, especially with this DPF on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.