The Diesel Garage banner

Ok to go back to regular Diesel?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  CrowsSynthetics 
#1 ·
On my 85' the previous owner ran it on home made biodiesel for approximately 3 years. I know he made modifications to it, but I dont know what. I am planning on running it on straight diesel, and dont believe I will have any problems, but wanted to hear from people who have intimate knowledge of bio-diesel. I filled it up from half a tank and besides starting easier it drove the same. Maybe i'm just paranoid. Any advice or input is appreciated. Thanks!

:happymugs

#2 ·
Anyone? :shrugs

#3 ·
:thinking

#4 ·
It SHOULD be okay to run on regular diesel. On older trucks the modifications that would be needed to run biodiesel is the replacement of rubber fuel lines as biodiesel will actually "eat" thru natural rubber over time. I would double check to see what modifications were made.

#5 ·
All the lines that where rubber have been replaced by super synthetic fuel lines that the company claims are bio-diesel "friendly". The lift pump was also replaced (it may have just been worn out) with an electric one that is designed for biodiesel.

#7 ·
I have also heard of folks running both with no problem. I am just worried that because it was run for so long on only bio-diesel that it might have gotten used to it, but like I said, maybe i'm just paranoid.

#8 ·
You are ok to run the #2 know that the truck has had all the tubing and o rings R&R the good thing is you now can run bio when you want. One thing is that if you switch back the fuel filter will need to be changed or checked as bio cleans the system out.
Bill

#9 ·
So if I run straight diesel for a while and then switch back to bio-diesel it could plug up the fuel filter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.