Originally Posted by dieselsmoke0204
Hey guys. My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving from St. Louis, Missouri to Texas, probably Austin. Ive been to Texas and fell in love with the state but I have never been to Austin. I graduate college in about a month and were think about moving sometime next year, like January. I could google this stuff but I would much rather ask you guys to get more of a real world information.
Here are my questions:
1) What is Austin like? Is it more of a "city" or does it still have those Texas country roots?
2) What is the job market in Texas/Austin? I am graduating with a degree in Finance and have been working at a bank for about a year and would need a job if I moved. The St. Louis market is in the crapper and its hard to find a job. How is Austin and the rest of Texas doin?
3) What is the cost of living?
4) Where in Texas, your opinion, is the best place to live?
5) Whats the night life in Texas? Are there more night clubs or are there a lot of country bars. Its pretty damn hard to find a decent country bar here in STL
Thanks in advance for all your help guys. Im sure I will have more questions as this thread goes on
if you want to spend the weekend and come down to austin i can show ya'll around when i come off the road for the winter. you can get a hotel and i'll pick ya'll up and make a day or two show all out of it...ive lived there pretty much my whole life and still live there. well, about 20 minutes north of austin itself, but its all the same town pretty much.
im not sure about the job market, its pretty stable from what i hear though.
LOTS of banks if thats where you want to return to. cost of living is comperable to everywhere else...not like CA where everything is more expensive just because your in CA.
if you like live country music, there seems to allways be something going on within a reasonable distance. theres 6th street area, lots of bars and clubs etc etc. fun time there.
the city itself is pretty relaxed if you ask me. go east/north/south of town and theres open fields and if you go west theres hill country. A few lakes. not sure what else your interested in.
I hope i answered your questions. if you have anymore feel free to ask. I love austin and havnt found another city id rather live in, and with my job i see my fair share of citys.