The Diesel Garage banner

Took the plunge!

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  -lenny- 
#1 ·
Hello Cummins community,
I recently joined this forum because I wanted info on the new dodge cummins 6.7 diesel. After test driving a few new ones and realizing I cannot afford a new one a dealer called me with the news of getting a 2008 2500 quad cab long bed 4x4 big horn with 6 speed. Truck has 13000 miles on it. This truck was purchased by a local and lost his job and could not make payments so dealership gave him payoff and I feel I make a good buy. Test drove truck and it runs as good as new. Carfax and history is clear with no problems other than recalls and an O2 sensor at 11 miles. I hope I'm making a good choice here. I'm trading in my trusty and reliable 2002Ford F350 crewcab 4x4 7.3 powerstroke with 62k miles on it. The dodge has a b & w hitch, line x sprayed in bedliner, brake controller, tinted windows. I'm trading for my truck and 16k cash out door with taxes. I'm excited about my new purchase!

#2 ·
First :nopics

Congrats on the new truck. I hope you enjoy it.

#4 ·
I am over in Southeast Indiana, near Cincinnati. neeltburn, we go camping over at Holiday World and Lake Rudolph twice a year. that is kinda close to ya I think

#8 ·
You should be happy with that truck. I have an 08, and no issues. I have been planning on doing the deletes for over a year now, but haven't got around to it. That helps out your mileage quite a bit. Now there are a couple decent programmers for it that make it easy.

#9 ·
Congrats and enjoy dude
:happymugs

#10 ·
well. I'm not starting off so good. Brought truck home yesterday. Got in it this morning and heard chime saying oil change needed. I called dealer and he said that they serviced truck before I picked it up. So when I got home afterwork today, I checked oil and its coal black. My powerstroke oil was only this dark after 5k miles, not after only 50 miles. So wife and the kid and me drove it to Cincinnati to run some errands, I drove truck with Jake Brake on most all the time. All of a sudden, a chime sounded and the yellow engine outline came on and its been on since. I need some help here. I'm not used to all this new technology, especially with the dodges. Truck didn't perform any different than before and after light came on. Is there something seriously wrong? Also, what about the oil being black already? need help please

#11 ·
OK, for the oil being black, that is due to your emissions systems (EGR mainly). That is unfortunately normal for stock. Do some deletes, and the oil will look new way longer. If they did do the service, they didn't reset the oil life monitor. Easy to do, key to on position, accelerator to floor slowly 3 times then start engine. Done.

For the CEL, Hop in the truck and shut the door. Key in iginition, and cycle it on-off-on-off-on-off-on, and it will display a code where the odometer reading is. Get that, and let us know what it is.

#12 ·
Well I did what you said, and the odometer didn't show me any codes. However, the engine light started blinking and I started truck a few minutes ago and the light went off. I took a quick drive up the road and runs fine. the cel light did not come back on. so ?? I now know what do due if that happens again. Thanks for the info, I know your guys probably answer these questions over and over and over, well u get my point. But it does mean alot to someone like me, who doesn't know how to find all this stuff out. Truck has 13k miles on it. I'm going to get pictures up once I figure out how. I love the truck! I'm from Brookville, Indiana, I'm about a good hour 15min from Madison. Thanks everyone.

#15 ·
as far as the engine light blinking , according to the owner's manual that means emmisions system not ready . as far as what that means , i'm not sure if that means the truck needs to go into regen or what . my engine light has done this blinking thing a few times on start up but has always went out as soon as it fires .

#13 ·
Yeah, there is a lot of info available on these forums. Sure beats talking to the dealer and getting some BS story that may not have any truth to it. People from all over the country, running different setups, in different conditions and all that. A great resource.

#14 ·
Print out the code Thread in here It has every code known to these trucks my dealy said that the gas cap being lose can through a code not sure about that one sounds like BS to me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.