The Diesel Garage banner

Should I buy this truck? Blown engine

7K views 68 replies 6 participants last post by  Lonesome7.3 
#1 ·
The truck is a 94 GMC 3500 two wheel drive dually and has a bad 6.2 in it. It is advertised for $800 like it sits. I can get a good engine for around $1200 including the fuel it will take me to go get it. A friend of mine who is a body man owes me some money so he will paint it for me. I think I can get the correct bumper pretty cheap. All in all I think I can make this a nice truck all for under $2000. I have no money to spend right now, but I might be able to trade some stuff off. What would a truck like this with a good running engine and good paint job sell for? I am wondering if it will be a good deal by the time I am done working and spending on it. Oh, and the interior looks good. I could not get better photographs because it was locked. I will be meeting with the owner soon and can provide interior and engine bay pictures then.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd buy it ! first thing i would is rip out the 6.2L if its rebuild able sell it if not scrap it. . .

Then find yourself a good used 454TBI or 350TBI 454TBI ideally put the Truck back together, tow some thing around with a BIG :D on your face . . .

But :thumbsup 6.2L :thumbsup fine engine light on power High on dependability :thumbsup :bang 6.5-T:bang Don't go that route I've seen it done truck kept breaking down . . .Hack mine keep's breaking down and it came with a 6.5-T. . .LOL :haha

Mike

#6 ·
It would be a great truck to put a Cummins in at some point ?

But yes the 6.2L is very cost effective !

Mike

#8 ·
Replacing that whole front end is going to run you $400 or better if you use import parts. The grille and lights will be $200 and then $200 or better for the bumper unless you can grab one at a junk yard. Your buddy must like you or have a fender laying around since most people don't straighten them anymore.

The 6.2 junk yard pull may be the easiest bet. You might get lucky and pull a good one, but be careful since this is a sale project. I never feel right selling anything I haven't ran and stand behind. Getting a known 6.2 that is a runner is not going to be in the $2000 budget.

#9 ·
I have a Cummns just waiting for the right truck, but this is not it. I like the 6.2.

This is not a sale project. I want this truck to use until we get back on our feet and my dually is complete. I just want to make sure I will get what I put into it when we no longer need it.

#10 ·
Cool. It should be fine then. I misunderstood when you asked what it would be worth.

#12 · (Edited)
Ok it will tow the load but its going to be rather slow going !

Don't get upset when that same truck powered by a 350 passes you loaded heavier...

They will to I know back when I drove tow trucks I had a C30 Chevy wecker weighed 12K empty one day I was towing a 1 ton dodge van I was following one of these fine GM diesels pulling a single axle camper we hit a hill at 62mph he faded all the way back to 50mph it was a long climb so I pulled out n the passing lane laid the fuel to my old 350 4bbl the secondarys opened up the TH400 dropped down into second gear and I walked right by him and as I did so he flipped me off...

Mike

#14 ·
I don't know he was on vaction so going slow n careful is fine, but I was driving tow truck so the faster I got unhooked the faster I could grab another tow and at that point I had 2 tows waiting or I prolly wouldn't have passed him. Ya know ?

I almost wished I had old truck #1 with the 454 n 4.88s much faster then the rest of the trucks running 350s n 4.10s

Mike

#17 ·
I'm getting to that point but not quite there yet.

I still like my large Cummins n Mack diesels and My high torque 6's and big block V8 Gassers . . .
Ill get the 6.5er all beefed up just in time for me to settle down and be in no hurry, but I guess the extra will be there if or when needed.

Mike

#18 ·
I have been wanting a 6.2 project this is just s bad time. Considering our situation is the way it is right now, if I am able to get that truck I just want to drop a new engine in and go. The body work does nto concern me that much. I think I can have all the orugh work done in a weekend.

#19 ·
ya i have noticed tho there never really is a good time, you just gotta cross your fingers in jump in . . .

Some times like my 62' GMC it was a Great risk taken other times like my 95' GMC it was a piss poor risk taken . . .

I'm sure the 6.2 & 6.5 are great engine's or at least i get told this continually but my 6.5 is a loser breaker ! If it ran great today it prolly won't run at all tomorrow LOL :haha No joke it's done it 7 times already LOL :haha . . .

Mike

#27 · (Edited)
There good strong trucks I have owned dozens of them.

It takes 4 engines 2 transmissions and 1 rear end to wear out them 2WD's I ran towing cars...

I would get about 500K miles from a body n rolling chassie with 2 repaints and rust proofs they were 82'-88' model years.

Tho old truck #1 was a 79' and had 780K miles on its chassie n 2 bodys when it got retired .

3 engine rebuilds 2 clutches, transmission and rear end never got touched.

But ol #1 had a 454 SM420 4spd 4.88 gears.

Nothing much done to the 454 10.5:1 pistons RV camshaft Eddie Torker 2 intake 650cfm 4-BBL Eddie carb. 9.50-16E biasply Super Traction tires.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.