The Diesel Garage banner

Trailer wiring question

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Cwalt 
#1 ·
I have recently bought a 2001 International 4900, I plan on adding a gooseneck hitch to tow a cattle trailer and a flatbed gooseneck trailer, both have electric brakes.

My question is does anyone know if there is an adapter that I can use in order to connect my trailer 7 pin RV plug upto the factory semi 7 pin round connector? I know I will still need to add wiring for the electric brakes. Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 ·
I looked around and could not find one premade for that arrangement. So I just made my own from a male and female adapter. It worked okay, but was kind of a maintenance problem. Wires would tend to eventually come loose. So I got tired of that and just installed an additional 6 pin round for my trailers next to the tractor trailer connector.

#4 ·
The "best" thing to do is to replace the trailer end connector with an ATA 7-way (round pin) unless you are towing the GN trailers with multiple tow vehicles. Each adpater or jumper is another area for failure, one that with electric brakes, tail and brake lights at risk is unwise if avoidable.

#5 ·
I did one by putting a 7 flat socket on the end of a broken pigtail but john's suggestion brings to mind putting a round pin connection on the trailer in addition to the flat 7 connection cord. And put a socket to hold the flat7 plug on the trailer.

I put a switch on the dash for the brake wire and used an inertial brake controller. The gooseneck cleared with the fifth wheel all the way back and a pair of 4x4s chained to wedge the wheel stabilised the gooseneck ball welded to a king pin plate that I cut to rv size. RV will hook to tractor fifth wheel so the tractor will pull commercial, rv, bumber pull and gooseneck.

The pickup tow bar adapter u-bolts to the rear cross member to tend up from the pins on the pickups. It needs to be changed on the tow bar to apply the brakes and a breakaway before I take it out agin.

The bumper pull clamps to the last 2 crossmembers.

keydl

#6 ·
there is an adaptor i got one i got it from weaver d in pa there number is 18009328373

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.