The Diesel Garage banner

New Dodge diesel badging?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  navistar45 
#1 ·
According to recent reports, Fiat will begin integrating their Fiat Diesel products into the Chrysler brands very soon: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2009/11/chrysler-powertrain-20091104.html

"Diesels. Chrysler will adapt Fiat diesel engines to Chrysler applications. Starting on Euro5-compliant engines, Chrysler will introduce a new generation of common rail with the Multijet2 injector.

The Multijet2 injector uses a new balanced servo valve, and delivers higher accuracy in fuel injection quantity control, resulting in up to 3% lower CO2 emissions and up to 20% lower NOx emissions. Noise and driveability are also improved.

After-treatment technologies will allow the engines to meet 2015 European and US emissions limits, Ferrero said."

So instead of Dodge Cummins Diesel, we'll have FPT Diesel (Fiat Powertrain Technologies)?

#2 ·
#3 ·
kinda sad, and kinda funny if you ask me. i have had at least 3 diesel pickups from each of the big 3, always been partial to gm in some years, but fords in most. to be honest i want whats reliable and fits my needs. usually this means a ford. this being said, i have not really fell into the brand war garbage since i was a teen, way i see it, drive what you like. anyway i really get sick of the dodge boys trying to tell me about how great their trucks are and how superior they are, usually when i'am driveing one of my fords i get this hype. the look on their faces is usually blank, when i tell them i have a dodge at the house, and i know exactly what kind of mileage they get, and how well they handle a load. maybe this bit of news will shut them up. in the end, it will be sad to see though. back during the summer, chrysler owned cummins over 40+ million for their engines, wonder if this plays a role in the mix?

#5 ·
kinda sad, and kinda funny if you ask me. i have had at least 3 diesel pickups from each of the big 3, always been partial to gm in some years, but fords in most. to be honest i want whats reliable and fits my needs. usually this means a ford. this being said, i have not really fell into the brand war garbage since i was a teen, way i see it, drive what you like. anyway i really get sick of the dodge boys trying to tell me about how great their trucks are and how superior they are, usually when i'am driveing one of my fords i get this hype. the look on their faces is usually blank, when i tell them i have a dodge at the house, and i know exactly what kind of mileage they get, and how well they handle a load. maybe this bit of news will shut them up. in the end, it will be sad to see though. back during the summer, chrysler owned cummins over 40+ million for their engines, wonder if this plays a role in the mix?
I agree with you that everyone should simply "drive what they like..." But....I also have/had Fords...7.3 IDI, 7.3 SD, 6.0 SD /GM 6.5 and D-Max 6.6 and currently Cummins 5.9. Without getting into brand warfare, to each his own, as you said, but nothing, and I mean nothing pulls like my Dodge. It is a tug boat and is much better at this than any of the others.....but then again, I never had to spend $4,000 on a transmission on a Ford....just lots of blown up stuff on the 6.0! The 7.3 with 62,000 miles just had 2 injectors and the UVCH need replaced last week. The Dodge has 290,000, stock injectors....etc. So anyway, each truck has its own high and low points. Oh, and maybe one day we will all be so lucky to have Ford start putting the 6.7 Cummins in the SD's. Now that would make a lifetime customer out of me.....

#6 ·
agreed, not to get into brand warfare here, but. pulling power is a tricky thing, most simply compare a truck to another truck with no regared to the drivetrain specs. i have old gm diesels that will snatch the hell out of my old dodges on the bottom end, mid range the dodges pull better, top end atleast one of those old gm's [has a banks turbo] will run away from either of my older dodges on the highway. step the date up to 97 and 2000 years, my 97 ford pulled just as well as my 2000 dodge did, both speced the same. the dodge cost me more to own in 1 year, then the ford did in 8 years. i'am sure someone can come up with an opposite situation. go forth to 2001 and 02, my fords would smoke my 2000 dodge. step up to 05, and my dodge will smoke the 2001 ford i have, but my 02 ford is a different story. fact is, until the dodge got good and broke in, the 02 ford would edge it out with a heavy load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.