Roof AC problems - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by rdr99, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1931 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Roof AC problems

Have a 30' Komfort trailer with roof AC unit. Blows air but doesn't get cold. Can these units be recharged? I couldn't find any hook-up points to add AC.

'03 F350 4X4 Supercab, handshaker. 2" lift running 315/75/16 Hankook MTRT03. Zoodad mod, CCV reroute, EGR mod, Brite Box, SCT X3 tuned by DJs Performance, 4" exhaust, on my third turbo. 05' Excursion, stock for now.A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
- Lazarus Long, as written by Robert A. Heinlein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:39 AM

Garage
Unhappy

The new law says that it cant be charged if it does not have the fittings on it from the factory ( they dont) . They say you have to buy a new one. I am in the same boat but coolant might not be your problem. Say thanks to the global warming scam for the law.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:35 PM
7.3 addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker Dave View Post
The new law says that it cant be charged if it does not have the fittings on it from the factory ( they dont) . They say you have to buy a new one. I am in the same boat but coolant might not be your problem. Say thanks to the global warming scam for the law.
who told you that I think they were blowing smoke! they are a sealed system but they can be worked on.

Is compressor running would be first thing to check.you'll have to get up on top to know for sure.

1) 99 f-350 srw 7.3 6pos. bully dog, afe intake, mrbp 4" exhaust,250,000 miles and still rollin.
2) 2000 excursion 7.3 afe intake, mrbp 4" exhaust. chip coming
3) NEW TO ME2000 cc drw 7.3 let the mods begin
4) FOR SALE 87 f250 6.9 9' utility body.
5) SOLD 91 f150 good truck just well used.Gonna miss the old girl allways started even after sitting for 6 months.

I think i'm trailer poor ) 22' w\18' tilt car hauler, 18' flat bed, 2 horse D&D, 12' utility, 19' "v" nose, and 37' 5er

"quote from tank"
"I use baby wipes.....

Because if you think that a wadded up piece of paper is actually getting the chit off of your butt.....then I have to ask a question....

.....if you wiped a turd on your arm....would you just use a paper towel to get the turd off?.....or would you wash your arm?...

...let that thought roll around in your head for a moment...

" thank you tank for that insightful thought

#46 AMERICAN (blood) club
#241 singles club
# ? Dually club
# ? Excursion club
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I think the compressor is working. When I have the generator attached to it and turn on the AC it loads the generator, tried it plugged into the house as well, still not blowing cold air.

'03 F350 4X4 Supercab, handshaker. 2" lift running 315/75/16 Hankook MTRT03. Zoodad mod, CCV reroute, EGR mod, Brite Box, SCT X3 tuned by DJs Performance, 4" exhaust, on my third turbo. 05' Excursion, stock for now.A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 PM
7.3 addict

Garage
Well you need to verify the comp. is running. You should be able to hear it when you turn it on. Start the fan first let it get up to speed then go to cool see if it starts take off cover on top and check to see if larger line is getting cool smaller line should get HOT if not could be a refrigerant issue or compressor issue.

1) 99 f-350 srw 7.3 6pos. bully dog, afe intake, mrbp 4" exhaust,250,000 miles and still rollin.
2) 2000 excursion 7.3 afe intake, mrbp 4" exhaust. chip coming
3) NEW TO ME2000 cc drw 7.3 let the mods begin
4) FOR SALE 87 f250 6.9 9' utility body.
5) SOLD 91 f150 good truck just well used.Gonna miss the old girl allways started even after sitting for 6 months.

I think i'm trailer poor ) 22' w\18' tilt car hauler, 18' flat bed, 2 horse D&D, 12' utility, 19' "v" nose, and 37' 5er

"quote from tank"
"I use baby wipes.....

Because if you think that a wadded up piece of paper is actually getting the chit off of your butt.....then I have to ask a question....

.....if you wiped a turd on your arm....would you just use a paper towel to get the turd off?.....or would you wash your arm?...

...let that thought roll around in your head for a moment...

" thank you tank for that insightful thought

#46 AMERICAN (blood) club
#241 singles club
# ? Dually club
# ? Excursion club
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Silly question...but have you cleaned it? Every spring when I go to wake my camper up, I have to take a hose up on the roof and spray the bejezzus out of it. Leaves, twigs, dead bugs, you name it, seem to crawl up inside there. Give it a good cleaning if you haven't and see if that helps at all.

~Dave~

2012 F350 KR Dually, stock...bone stock.

early 99 PSD CC F250, DP Tuner F-5, Stealth Stage I, Casserly 160cc singles, Monsterbox Tranny, MBRP cool duals, ITP Regulated fuel system, Cobalts and Performax gauges, and way to much else to remember right now. **traded**

2004 Excursion Limited 6.0L, Dipricol gauges on the A-Pillar, Bilsteins and BFG's on the corners, lost EGR (not looking hard for it either), ARP studs, RCD Black Onyx head gaskets, MBRP 4" exhaust, (labor performed by Dan @ Midwest Transmission) **giggled when traded**

Quote:
I'm pretty good at drinkin beer -Billy Currington
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Inline Junky!

Garage
whats the make and model number on the unit? And we recharge them at work. we have an hvac guy that comes and he has a tool that taps the line and removes all the coolant then puts charging fittings on and charges em up!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 AM

Once the cover is off you can feel the vibration of a running compressor (big can with 1 large and 1 small tube and some wires), no vibration means it did not start - check electrical connections or possibly a hard start kit. Vibration with small tube warm is a leak. Small tube hot and large tube chill - fan not driving inside.

There are access valves that silver solder to the process tube, Tap-a-lines that clamp to the suction tube and discard taps for refrigerant recovery on scrap. Skill level for handling refrigerant is moderate to high. Hazard level for ignorance is high.

Common cause of no start is a run capacitor, another is setting for over 6 months.

Leaks can be found with soap or bubble solution and a dauber or paintbrush.

There is a label that specs refrigerant and amount as well as current draw for the compressor.

Most common is r22 - it is $200 for 30#, the smallest size sold now.

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Last edited by keydl; 07-21-2010 at 04:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to keydl For this addition to TDG:
jestersv (07-21-2010)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Okay, I let it run for about an hour in approx. 85 degree temps. Took the cover off, there was some dust, but nothing else. The large line is quite hot and the two smaller ones are cool(I would not say cold, just cool). It was still only blowing warmish air out the vent. The compressor had a 98' year of manufacture on it, looks like it is a Tsecumsh(sp) compressor.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:05 PM

That is on the list for broken suction valve, to check it needs a tap on the suction line.

Cost of a new compressor on the roof and cost of a new unit are close most places. You need a good tech.

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode